• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC New M:tG set announced: "Adventures in the Forgotten Realms"

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I do like the Zendikar setting. That would be a a nice post-Corona pick-me-up... as long as the map doesn’t suck!

AliasBot

Explorer
Zendikar would be a fundamentally weird place to get a D&D setting book for, because of how much of the plane's creative DNA comes from D&D - the introduction to Plane Shift Zendikar in the link above says as much. It's not that it wouldn't work, it's just that its shtick as a Magic world is "adventure plane," which means it wouldn't stand out nearly as much in a franchise where wide-ranging adventure is the default: it's the closest thing to "D&D plane" that Magic has, and "D&D plane" isn't much of a hook in actual-factual D&D.

...though since Zendikar puts the most emphasis on the exploration aspect of adventuring, it might actually have a mechanical niche in 5E as a book where it makes sense to put much more in-depth exploration rules, so it does have that going for it.

(My crackpot prediction is that this is actually a tease for an adventure book set on Zendikar, rather than for a Zendikar setting book. There are a number of logical reasons why it probably wouldn't make sense, but something about the concept just feels right, somehow: an adventure across the adventure plane!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads