• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New Berserker Power

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That I know of two melee classes have a bursting multi-attack as an at-will... I find it rather ridiculous that one of those two is not the Berserker. (The Swordmage and the Monk)

I have made this currently it replaces Whirling Rend. (which is arguably a more a fighter power in my opinion and should be marked as martial) . I think it fits the name and class better.

BlindWhirl.png

I was considering having it be a [W] attack where the W is calculated as the Larger of any equipped weapon reducing the damage die by 1 if you lack a second weapon in hand AND using Dex bonus. But highlighting the weapon hardly matters is flavorful too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This is actually a Barbarian Power

Here is the xml one would use With CBLoader and the Character Builder to replace Whirling Rend with it.

<D20Rules game-system="D&D4E">
<RulesElement name="Blind Rending Whirl" type="Power" internal-id="ID_FMP_POWER_5211" source="Martial Power III" revision-date="7/8/2019 11:26:16 AM" >
<Category> ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_ATTACK,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_AT-WILL,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_AT-WILL_USAGE,ID_FMP_CLASS_148,ID_FMP_CATEGORY_31,ID_FMP_CATEGORY_8,ID_FMP_CATEGORY_25,ID_INTERNAL_CATEGORY_STANDARD_ACTION,1 </Category>
<Flavor> Sometimes he forgets to use a weapon and considering the lack of control involved it hardly matters. </Flavor>
<specific name="Power Usage"> At-Will </specific>
<specific name="_SkillPower" />
<specific name="Display"> Barbarian Attack 1 </specific>
<specific name="Keywords"> Primal, weapon </specific>
<specific name="Action Type"> Standard action </specific>
<specific name="Attack Type"> Close burst 1 </specific>
<specific name="Targets"> Each creature in burst </specific>
<specific name="Attack"> Strength vs. Reflex </specific>
<specific name="Hit"> D8 + Strength modifier. Increase damage to 2D8 + Strength modifier at 21st level. </specific>
<specific name="_Associated Feats" />
<specific name="Class"> ID_FMP_CLASS_148 </specific>
<specific name="Level"> 1 </specific>
<specific name="Power Type"> Attack </specific>
</RulesElement>
</D20Rules>

Larrin

Entropic Good
It is worth noting that ALL the berserkers at-will powers are martial, not Primal. This is because once the berserker uses a primal power the go into Fury mode which changes a bunch of things. The typical berserker at-will is martial, and then gets a damage bonus and becomes primal once fury mode is active. I think that what you made may well be appropriate damage level for the Fury mode of the power (though targeting ref instead of AC is too much). I would advise something like:

Martial version: melee burst 1,
target: two enemies in burst,
Str vs Ac,
hit:1d8 dmg

Berserker fury: this attack gains the primal keyword, targets all enemies in burst and deals additional damage equal to your strength modifier. with some level 21 increase.

That would be my suggestion for what you would want from the power given my understanding of how Berserkers seem to work.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
"Creatures in burst" is kinda the point.

The Primal version, since the Berserker is meant to become a striker at that point, could do higher damage to /one/ target, maybe call it a 'primary' target, maybe just the first target hit by the attack?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It is worth noting that ALL the berserkers at-will powers are martial, not Primal. This is because once the berserker uses a primal power the go into Fury mode which changes a bunch of things. The typical berserker at-will is martial, and then gets a damage bonus and becomes primal once fury mode is active. I think that what you made may well be appropriate damage level for the Fury mode of the power (though targeting ref instead of AC is too much). I would advise something like:

Str vs Ac,

Berserker fury: this attack gains the primal keyword, targets all enemies in burst and deals additional damage equal to your strength modifier. with some level 21 increase.

That would be my suggestion for what you would want from the power given my understanding of how Berserk seem to work.
That having a Martial Preliminary is not a bad idea

"All creatures in a burst" is part of the point you can accidentally hurt allies when out of control. OR hit enemies you do not even know are there.

And yes the targeting reflex was an oops... it was a copy paste error actually, thanks for the note

I was creating this however as much for the Barbarian as for the Berserker ... a human berserk can I think get a Barbarian at-will.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And given it is easy to go Berserk with a minor action. Heck giving any berserk access to the barbarian at-wills shouldnt cause any real differences.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
"Creatures in burst" is kinda the point.

The Primal version, since the Berserker is meant to become a striker at that point, could do higher damage to /one/ target, maybe call it a 'primary' target, maybe just the first target hit by the attack?

LOL you ninja

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The damage for this is only a very small bit more than for the swordmage so I actually agree if it were a Berserk upgraded form that the extra die on the first target hit by the attack might be appropriate since there is already some bonus damage in there lets call it the D6 bonus damage.

Even if there isnt a Berserk specific form of this I could add the Berserk as a Special for Berserker.

Hmmmmmm.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would advise something like:

Str vs Ac,

I may build both the Pure Barbarian one and the Berserker like the above perhaps.

The problem with the base Martial one designed for the Berserk is if you arent going ragey or extreme control (like a monkish one) then the damage being weapon independent seems way more odd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads