• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a giant/troll adventure

Any recommendations for an adventure that heavily features giants, ogres, and/or trolls? The players are low Paragon level 4e, but it doesn't really matter. I'd be willing to farm anything for ideas. Published adventures welcome, along with just general ideas for creative encounters.

I've heard EnWorld is the place to share and receive DM wisdom. Hope I have a chance to share soon.

Thanks all!

CKB

Thanee

First Post
WotC module P1: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens is up for an Ennie, so it must be fairly good. I haven't played it myself, but by the title I'm guessing trolls are fairly prominent.

We are currently playing it (have only just begun, though).

It's a perfect fit, especially since it is for low paragon levels 11th to 14th or so.

Other than that, Against the Giants comes to mind, but it is not out yet (the 4e one, anyways). ;)

Bye
Thanee

OchreJelly

First Post
P1 is a good fit. There's another thread with more info on it: Edit: thanks for the heads up. I fixed the link.

Spoilers!
It features plenty of trolls, a single oni mage, and fomorians. It wouldn't be too hard to add true giants

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!

Another vote for this one - I'm due to start running it for my group relatively soon; it certainly ticks the boxes for 'lots of trolls' and 'early paragon'.

Personally, I expect to do more work at the front end in terms of hooks etc (after all, if the PCs are 'paragon level' they should be in a different relationship with their employers/patrons according to the stuff that was originally in Races and Classes, and I want to support that more in my campaign). I think that the Feywild connection could and should be beefed up a little too.

Essentially it seems perfectly usable as is, but I intend to use it as the foundation upon which I'll build my own edifice.

Cheers

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

G3 HALL OF THE FIRE GIANT KING. You got your giants - badabing - and your trolls - badaboom.

Low level 4e characters should eat through 11-15 HD 1e monsters like they were standing still.

jensun

First Post
Low level 4e characters should eat through 11-15 HD 1e monsters like they were standing still.
Hardly

If you are just looking for inspiration rather than directly available 4e modules then you might want to check out the old 1e Against the Giants series. I believe there is a 4e version in the works but it isn't likely to be out for a while.

The return to the Tomb of Horrors had a section dealing with Giants and Trolls but I have no idea how accessible it is nowadays.

P1 is however probably your best bet although it will need to be fitted into your current game.

Quickleaf

Legend
"Claws of Tyranny" article in Dragon #366 presents a little scenario for 11th-level PCs which features a war troll who has taken over a castle.

I also have a scenario I'm working on which plays with the troll backstory a little bit, making them vindictive keepers of a forgotten oath - when it gets unwittingly broken they begin their raids to punish the king. The scenario will revolve around learning of the oath and setting it right to appease the trolls.

Remove ads