• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclass Paragon Paths: Raging Beast, Eldrich Knight

NotAYakk

Legend
So I'm working on a pair of "Multiclass paragon paths". To be more specific, paragon paths that require two different classes each, and work towards merging them.

These can be used by traditional multiclass characters, or by hybrid characters, in order to form a more perfect union.

Does anyone know of other ones I can read up on? I'm sort of shooting blind. :)

The better developed one I have is the Raging Beast.

First a couple of feats:
Red in Tooth and Claw: Druid feat.
While in beast form, you may also use at-will and encounter powers with the weapon keyword, and are considered equipped and proficient with a double weapon: The main end is called Bite, and is a +2 proficiency/1d10 damage unarmed high-crit stout weapon that is also of the mace, hammer or pick weapon groups (pick at the time you gain this feat), and the offhand end is called Claw, a +3 proficiency/1d6 damage off-hand unarmed/light blade weapon. These weapons can use your druid implements enhancement bonus to hit, damage, critical effects and attack properties.

Thick Hide: Druid and Barbarian class, wild shape class feature
While in Beast form in Hide armor, you may replace your Dexterity modifier bonus to AC with the lower of your Strength or Wisdom modifiers. Once per encounter as an immediate interrupt when hit, you may use wild shape to polymorph into your beast form.

Note that the exclusion of daily weapon attacks is on purpose.

Next is a paragon path:
Raging Beast
Prerequisite: Druid and Barbarian classes

Raging Beast Path Features:
Blessings of the Primal Spirits (11th level):
You may equip a totem without holding it in your hands, and you may use the totems enhancement bonuses, critical damage, and properties to enchant attacks made through melee weapons. If you do so, the totems magical enchantment replaces that of the weapon for that attack.

Raging Beast Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to gain an extra action in beast form, as a free action you may make an at-will attack with a beast form druid at-will power you know as a non action immediately before or after the extra action. If you can only use the druid at-will once per encounter, you may use it even if expended, and this does not expend your use of the power.

Rage in Tooth and Claw (11th level): Gain the Red in Tooth and Claw feat. While raging, you can use your Claw and Bite weapons outside of beast form as if they where equipped, while still holding other items in your hands. If you are raging and in beast form, your at-will barbarian and druid form attacks strike a critical on a 19-20, or an 18-20 at level 21 and higher.

Fury of the Beast (11th level): Gain a Druid Beast encounter attack power of 7th level or lower you do not already possess. If you use this power while raging, it also deals 1/2 damage on a miss. At 21st level, you can replace the Druid Beast encounter attack power with one of 13th level or lower.

This is your 11th level paragon path attack power, disguised. Is a 13th level beast encounter attack power that deals half on a miss in a rage worth it at level 30?

Beastial Charge (16th level): When you charge you may choose to use wild shape as a free action after the charge. If you do so, the charge does not end your turn. In addition, if you missed on the charge attack and dealt no damage on the miss, you may make an at-will attack after the use of wild shape as if you had charged in your new form as a free action.

I hope you see what I'm trying to do there, but it needs better wording. The idea is two fold--first, the character gets to act after the charge, and second you get a 2nd chance to hit, but only in your other form.

Beastial Rage (20th level): Select a Barbarian daily rage power of 15th level or below that you do not already possess. You gain it, and it gains the beast keyword. If you miss with the power, you may choose to reroll your attack roll, but you must use the result of the second roll.

This is actually your level 20 daily attack power, in path feature form. The reroll-on-miss justifies it being 15th level instead of 19th level. Note that adding the beast form keyword gives you a rage that you can activate only in beast form. Also note that barbarian rages already deal 1/2 damage on a miss, so the reroll isn't as strong as you might think.

Howl of Fury + Raging Beast Utility 12
The sweet song of the primal spirits can be quite unsettling.
Encounter + Primal, Thunder
Minor Action + Close Blast 5
Requirement: You must be raging to use this power.
Target: Each enemy in blast
Effect: Each target suffers a -5 penalty to attacks until the end of their next turn, and your rage ends.
Special: When bloodied by an attack, you may use this power as an immediate interrupt so long as you include the attacker in the blast.

I wanted to inject a controller power into the lineup, but keep the rage connection around. Ending a rage makes this a quite expensive power to use, even though it is theoretically an encounter power! Too strong? Is the penalty of losing a rage so great that nobody would ever use it?

Thoughts? I'm still poking at the Eldrich Knight paragon path.

FireLance

Legend
Does anyone know of other ones I can read up on? I'm sort of shooting blind. :)
If you have access to DDI, you could have a look at the Dragonfoe Ragespell (barbarian, sorcerer), Shyran Spiritblade (shaman, swordmage) and the Underchasm Darkwatcher (warden, warlock) from Dragon 379, and the Thay Infiltrator (ranger, healing word class feature), Tharos Imposter (rogue, infernal pact warlock) and Oman Giantkiller (fighter, hunter's quarry class feature) from Dragon 370.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads