• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies that I just don't get

TiQuinn

Okay, a spin-off from the Worst Movies ever thread.

Everyone's got one. It's the movie that you can't stand that everyone else on God's green Earth seems to love. Mine just happens to be Ghostbusters. It wasn't funny when I was 12. It wasn't funny when I watched it when I was 17. And it remained unfunny throughout my 20's. And it's not that I don't like Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd. Compare Murray in that to stuff like Caddyshack, Stripes, and Groundhog Day. I don't get it.

Now, it did have one funny line that caused me to laugh my ass off, but aside from that.....eh.

Atridis

First Post
For me, it's the entire Italian-American Mafia genre. I didn't put them on the "Worst Movies" thread, because I can't honestly say they're _bad_, but the genius of "The Godfather", "Goodfellas", and "The Sopranos" just completely escaped me.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Atridis said:
For me, it's the entire Italian-American Mafia genre. I didn't put them on the "Worst Movies" thread, because I can't honestly say they're _bad_, but the genius of "The Godfather", "Goodfellas", and "The Sopranos" just completely escaped me.
Me too. I do think they are good movies/shows but I just never got into them.

diaglo

Adventurer
Mr. Bean...Rowan Atkinson. any movie he is in.

and i love british humour, considering i grew up with it.

i just don't get how they can make a full length movie of him. :confused:

Last edited:

Michael Tree

First Post
DragonballZ and similar anime. I just don't get it. Not only is there no plot that I can determine, but it's the most boringly slow 'action' cartoon I've ever seen.

I also don't really get the Mafia genre. Nor do I get westerns.

Jamdin

Explorer
I do not get romance movies. Just kiss each other already and do not drag it out for two hours. I also do not understand the four hour "abusive father/husband/boyfriend killed by mother/wife/girlfriend and we must go through the events that led up to the death" movies on Lifetime.

Atridis said:

I agree completely. I just do not get people's love affair with these shows and movies that are basically about complete and utter scum.

Tony Soprano is not "cool" he is a violent thug who enjoys hurting people. He deserves life in prison or the electric chair.

Last edited:

takyris

First Post
Are we differentiating between "Do not understand why people like" and "Do not like myself"?

I only like Mafia movies when they are obviously parodying the mobsters, when it's done in a comedic way and when the mobsters don't have any real teeth. For the other kinds, I can understand the machismo, the sort of honor and evil all tied up together in violent people who find themselves torn between their honor and their family and sometimes the woman they love. But once we get past the honor and conflict-of-loyalty stuff, we end up with films that glorify violence and sort of leave me numb from the sheer amount of blood spilled in often-graphic fashion.

I can understand the appeal, but I do not share it.

Similarly, I understand the appeal of Dragonball Z -- it's a high-powered show where people spend a lot of quality time posing and declaring how badass they are, and then mountains get blown up. Many people with low esteem can enjoy that sort of vicarious "Oh, he's so powerful" shtick, the declarations of power and such, and people who at least aren't bothered by the posing can enjoy the plot that they keep telling me is in there. However, I really don't enjoy it myself, and find myself often in philosophical conflict with its most enthusiastic defenders.

I guess that if there's one genre I really don't get on a level of not understanding on some profound level, it's the Summer Movie SF Action genre. I consistently find myself frustrated by these movies, feeling awkward about being the only one in the group who doesn't want to see it on the big screen. I don't always loathe them, but I almost always think that they give short shrift to plot and character development in order to give us lots of special effects. This is, I freely admit, apparently just me, but the special effects and fight scenes only really mean anything to me when they're used to ehance a good story with strong characters. On many of the individual movies, I challenge my friends by directly asking them, and they freely admit that the plot and characters are just there to fill up space between explosions, which leads me to question why they want me to come with them and spend $9.50 instead of just going home, cranking up the computer, and blowing things up in the privacy of my own room.

Again, I have no objection to stylish violence (although I don't love graphic violence) or really cool explosions. I just don't really get the love of them to the point where there is no movie, just a bunch of random explosions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads