D&D General Monastaries in dungeons and dragons

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The idea of monastery as the cloistered type cut off from society was in fact a minority of monasteries, far more were open communities were the monks engaged in teaching and healing of the poor, travellers and soldiers.

Most of Europes oldest universities started as monastic schools
FWIW, my HS was such an institution, founded by Cistercian monks and also employing Dominicans and civilians (who didn’t need to be Christians).

As to RPGs? Most often, I’ve seen monasteries used as scenes where stuff already happened: recently attacked & destroyed or ruins that were sacked ages ago. Occasionally, I’ve seen them used as libraries, schools or hospitals. Only rarely have I seen them integrated as commercial entities, selling cheeses, beer/spirits, honey, or other typical goods…which many did and indeed still do today.

For all their prominence in traditional history, Monasteries/Nunneries seem to be completely regulated to at best mock kung fu temples and often ignored.

The fact that these locations were wealth generators and religious sites of potential magics, how would you use them in your game?

also how have they been used in your favorite worlds?

They feature in important ways in the Forgotten Realms, often with religious and/or philosophical segnifence and occasional politically important.

Voadam

Legend
Ptolus has some religious orders for its Holy Lothian Church. The one that comes to mind as the most like a nunnery is The Sisters of Silence. They have a vow of silence with special powers and eunuch slaves which is exotic and weird but not really stuff I want to deal with in a game a lot.

There is also Warhammer 40K’s Sisters of Battle which are their own thing.

The closest I have featured in my games was the Athenaeum an order dedicated to preserving knowledge in libraries with a scholarly spell casting tradition. They take in orphans to raise as members and have rumors that they have hidden motives as a secret society and their use of the knowledge they hoard.

I have not focused on monasteries in my games because I mostly try to keep things not sex segregated which is the case for a number of historical monastic brotherhoods and nunneries and I mostly find them to be less interesting aspects of religious stuff to explore in games as well as being less familiar aspects for me.

Indeed, and Candlekeep is a good example of how different religion and society change the monastery. Firstly, it's "monks" do not spend their time in prayer. Instead they study, because study is an act of devotion to Oghma. Secondly, it can defend itself from both raiders and civil authorities. It has fortified walls, guards, and magical defences. They are not pacifists - thier religion doe not ask that of them. It generates wealth by charging fees to study, and selling copies of books in it's collection.

Exandria has it's cobalt soul monks, who combine martial arts with the collection and preservation of knowledge. It's a dangerous world, it's monks need to be able to defend themselves, and Ioun does not teach pacifism.

So does that mean all the "festhouses" around the Realms are basically monasteries too, with their "monks/nuns" being very deep in their "studies" as an act of devotion towards Sûne and Sharess?

It would fit the Elizabethan slang meaning for "nunnery", though...

Remove ads