• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Minotaur PC's (ala DragonLance)

Wolf72

Explorer
oops str/2 is supposed to be 1/2 str bonus

as an attk, if you use the attk by itself it is at full BAB. If you use it conjuction with another attack it is considered an off hand attack with a light weapon

wis or int?

wis or int?

lower int ... worse wizard/rogue

lower wis ... worse saves

gah! you had to go and make a good observation didn't you

yes LA +1 is the new (should be?) for ECL. It is Level adjustment +1. If the group starts at 2nd lvl, someone could choose to play a minotaur at 1st lvl.

Darklone

Welll...

Since I love low level adventures and give few XPs to keep the players low (gnhihihi) ...

Why not change it a little bit more and make it LA 0?

I came up comparing it with the Ogier in WoT... And that race you posted now does not look too much like a LA +1 race. Compare with elves (ok bad argument, they ARE strong). Compare with humans. Bad choice again... But halforcs would do.

here we go: halforcs: str+2, int -2, cha-2
minotaurs: str +4, int -4 (my variant), cha -2.
con +2, dex -2. Think that would be ok.

halforcs: scent possible if DM allows. Minotaurs too. Both have to spend a feat.

Halforcs: darkvision 60ft.
Minotaurs: none.

Skill bonus for intuit direction ... well. that's NOT a very important skill. Then you go with natural armour +1... not too tough ... consider kobolds. If you go with the dex -2 you'll be even.

Maze immunity: well. that MAY be tough. Or MAY never be used.

That head butt/gore attack ... I think it's not overrated if you need feats to use it ... perhaps improved unarmed strike ? Or a special gore attack feat for double damage if you charge that way?

Ok, this calls for ranting. Come on and rip me apart!

Wolf72

Explorer
rrrripppp!

actually lets see ... you don't need a feat to use the head butt. It's a natural attk. You can use it with no penalty ... if you decide to use it and a weapon you incur penalties as though you were attacking with two weapons. As a size M creature this minotaur should have a 1d6 head butt instead of 1d8.

-2dex for +1 nat armor? other than trying to get down to LA +0 I don't see a reason for this

minotaur vision: hmm the MM has darkvision ... I don't think they had it in DLA.

I do not want minotaurs to simply be a Krynn half-orc.

-4 int? ... not quite the race of sailors and empire builders I had imagined.

well so much for ripping ... I'll check out the ECL calc again and see what it comes up with. [edit: comes out as a solid LA +1]

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Out of curiosity, is there an ogfficial Dragonlance page and are they doing converstions? I know the Dark Sun page is and I'm pretty sure the Planscape is, I'm not sure about the others. It would be interesting to see what they have since it is a convertion of the same creature.

Wolf72

Explorer
yup, www.dl3e.com

their minotaur conversions usually have a +2 str ... it looks to me as though they were the 1/2 orcs of Krynn.

One conversion gives a +4 str, -4 int ... and I was trying to get away from the -4 int (avg int of 6/7). I've never really read minotaurs to be that stupid in the sereis.

they haven't posted any of their combined official rules yet, it's all submissions.

Crothian

First Post
The -4 to intelligence really doesn't fit. Maybe a -2 since in the series it can be said that only the elite ones were written about. But it's that way with all ,races, one is never really shown their weaknesses.

Wolf72

Explorer
Crothian said:
The -4 to intelligence really doesn't fit. Maybe a -2 since in the series it can be said that only the elite ones were written about. But it's that way with all ,races, one is never really shown their weaknesses.

LOL!!!

thinking of Bupu the gully dwarf ...

Jarval

Explorer
Wolf72 said:
Immune to Maze Spells

I'd be inclined to drop this. It doesn't really make sense for the Krynn style Minotaur, and is a pretty useless ability to boot.

Looking good, I might use this version.

Originally posted by Rav
But then, I prefer the Nexus version. Not that I liked that much. BTW, is the nexus actually progressing at all? It doesn't look like it...

It's making headway, just quite slowly. There is a Yahoo mail-group you can subscribe to if you're interested.

Jarval

Explorer
An update from the Nexus Newsletter

OK, I'm going off-topic here (sorry Wolf), but heres an update on what's happening at the Dragonlance Nexus:

OFFICIALLY SPEAKING

The holidays have mucked with our schedules some, so we haven't gotten too far on the official rules last month.

We discussed the Knights of Solamnia, Knights of Takhisis, and Legion of Steel. We've just wrapped up prestige classes, and are discussing which ones to keep. Candidates include a Dragon Rider, the Kirath, Minotaur Champion, and a Blood Sea Mariner. The list isn't final, and there were lots of other suggestions, so we'll see!

THE YEAR TO COME

So, what's in store for the upcoming year for the Nexus? Dragonlance Adventures Third Edition (DLA3e) will be released this summer, following the release of Dragons of a Vanished Moon. DLA3e opens up many new and exciting possibilities for gaming in the world of Krynn that will be fascinating to explore.

A Dragonlance Monster Manual will be released sometime after that, and there has been talk of a handbook centered around dragons and everything related to dragons. Also slated for late 2002/early 2003 are online supplements for Taladas and Otherlands.

Hope this is of interest.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Re: An update from the Nexus Newsletter

Jarval said:
OK, I'm going off-topic here (sorry Wolf), but heres an update on what's happening at the Dragonlance Nexus:

Hope this is of interest.

Yaaay! Thanks! :D

I would drop the maze immunity as well.

I think that with your flavour preferences, +4 STR, +2 CON, -2 INT, -2 WIS, -2 CHA, +2 natural armour, gore attack, +2 intuit direction and perhaps (for krynn flavour purposes) +2 to all Profession: Sailor checks, you would have a solid ECL+1 race.

If you want a +4 to CON, you might add that Minotaurs, due to their bulky physiques, have to pay twice as much for Armour.

Rav

Remove ads