• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) minor advantage/disadvantage

AllOlive

Villager
It's nice to have a more-granular form of advantage/disadvantage. But as a statistician, I think the "reroll if your first roll is too high/low" dynamic seems bad; the distribution has funny kinks in it, and it feels as if it "punishes/rewards" you for rolling too well/poorly the first time.

I've been thinking of easy-to-implement ideas that are "cleaner", and here's what I have:

Roll two d20 of different colors; a "main" and "auxiliary" one. If the auxiliary die shows 6-15, use the result from the main one. Otherwise, use disadvantage/advantage as normal (that is, for disadvantage, use the lower of the two, and for advantage, the higher of the two.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That hasn’t been in the game for months! One of the very first things removed due to playtest feedback.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think having a minor advantage die is a bit too much work for not enough gain. You have to remember what numbers to us (6-15 isn't really intuitive, even if it's "average", nor were the numbers used for the LU minor advantage playtest, of 5 or lower and 16 or higher) and the DM has to decide what exactly the divide is between minor and regular advantage.

The Expertise die that LU is going for now is a decent enough compromise. It be both a standard part of your character--instead of getting Expertise and doubling your prof bonus, you get the die--but it can also be given by an effect or DM fiat, and increased as well.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Ah, so instead of "minor advantage" it will be "add an expertise dice to your attack roll" ?
I don't know if they've come up with official rulings for Expertise dice in combat yet, but I can imagine things like "having the higher ground" would be worth an extra d4. Or "chained to the wall by one leg" could easily be worth a -d4.

Edit: As indicated in the page Morrus secretly posted below, there's no rule for subtracting a d4 or whatever from your role as an "anti-expertise die." I made that up. Still, I might end up using it if I think disad is too much for a particular roll.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, so instead of "minor advantage" it will be "add an expertise dice to your attack roll" ?

Ssshh! Don't tell anybody you've seen this.

ex.jpg

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
is there an inverted version of expertise dice for sa climbing a cliff... freehand... wearing a wet tshirt... in a blizzard... at ultra high altitud... wothout a breathing spell or whatever? brainfart dice or something?

Remove ads