• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Schley's Giants maps with the original module

Last edited:

Painfully

First Post
You need to know that 5E hill giants are huge-sized and that previous editions had them as large-sized creatures. That's a pretty important difference when it comes to how many giants you can fit into a room.

When I recently ran a 5E conversion of the 4E adventure, I used a combination of large and huge hill giants, making the more important and powerful giants huge, but most of them large.

The map layout, at least for G1, Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, is not too terribly different. Some of the guard barracks are combined to create fewer rooms, but all the important rooms are there. I based my conversion from the 4E material, and enjoyed it very much, especially once they got below the surface level. Make no mistake though. This is a 1E module, in that there are a lot of straight up combat encounters. The giants don't have enough magical spells to really help them do more than just brute force combat tactics. A party with a powerful spellcaster can quickly turn the tide of a combat.

As for the other module maps, I'm not certain of how closely they follow the original modules, but G1 is very close.

What should also be noted is while the 5E giants are Huge, the 15' combat space is more of a suggestion. Even the official prepainted minis of giants are on 2" bases right out of the package and the DMG even denotes it's alright if a creature's base isn't the same sizes as called for in the MM.

I ended up buying the maps anyway (it's not a lot of money to me, and if I pay Mr Schley then hopefully he'll keep on making more maps :).

They are, as to be expected given the author, beautiful.

They will work with the original modules. It is obvious from the pictures "that's a bunk room" or "that's a pantry", so I just have to make a little table of new room numbers and old room numbers.

Remove ads