• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maybe rapid shot etc just wasn't fast enough for reality...

Graythebruce

First Post
Lars Andersen reactions

I think it's a fun video to watch, as are his other ones.

However, for some perspective, I've collected links to archery-history buffs who have some criticisms for the Lars Andersen argument. You can find them on my site, here: http://ludusludorum.com/2015/01/31/...ry-buffs-react-to-that-amazing-archery-video/

Gray

Fascinating video

Dedication is everything - Lars Andersen the self taught rapid shooting bow master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXxV5uDq-E

What do you think?

Archers could fire really fast back in the day, but they didn't have to do a lot of aiming. If you're shooting at a mass of horsemen, just "aim" up so your arrow arcs down and uses gravity to spike a knight or horse. Does it matter if you hit the knight next to the one you were "aiming" at? The knights had to be pretty tightly-packed to punch a hole in enemy formations, so hitting the ground wasn't very likely. Medieval archery didn't resemble D&D-style small unit tactics for the most part.

This doesn't mean archers back in the day could not aim. It just wasn't that important a military skill.

Archers could fire really fast back in the day, but they didn't have to do a lot of aiming. If you're shooting at a mass of horsemen, just "aim" up so your arrow arcs down and uses gravity to spike a knight or horse. Does it matter if you hit the knight next to the one you were "aiming" at? The knights had to be pretty tightly-packed to punch a hole in enemy formations, so hitting the ground wasn't very likely. Medieval archery didn't resemble D&D-style small unit tactics for the most part.

This doesn't mean archers back in the day could not aim. It just wasn't that important a military skill.

Firing as many arrows as you can is different from aiming for a small specific area I guess. D&D probably assumes you're doing the latter...

Remove ads