• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Lunar Sorcery: A Preview from Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass. Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created. Lunar Sorcerers also draw power...

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass.

lunar-socerer-featured.jpg

Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created.

Lunar Sorcerers also draw power from the moons, based on the moon's phase (Full, New, Crescent). You choose the phase each day (though at later levels you can do so more often). The subclass gets a lot of spells (15 additional spells!)

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
This. The wizard class might refer to himself as a sorcerer or warlock in the fiction, but he's a guy who learns magic from a book. Sorcerers and warlocks the classes, regardless of what they call themselves in the fiction, would probably be considered heathen wizards by the wizards of high sorcery and hunted down.
This reminds me of the 1e days. The wizard class had level titles such as sorcerer and warlock.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
It doesn't matter to me. To me classes are just game constructs, not fiction in the world. People don't introduce themselves as 'fighters' and 'barbarians' and 'rogues'. A 'wizard of high sorcery' is somebody who can do magic and is a member of the order. What rules elements are used to make that concept mechanically are behind the scenes.
Pretty sure there's a HUGE difference between "My magic comes from massive studies of arcane texts" and "my magic is innate and stems from a mystical connection via some magical influence, possibly from a bloodline with a magically-inclined ancestry"

Also huge difference between being able to study and prepare any spell in your books compared to being limited in spells but able to cast them on the fly and even alter their compositions entirely (metamagic).

If you think this stuff should just be ignored, that kind of hand-waiving is what makes storytelling and world building extremely contrived and even arbitrary.

I mean is D&D going to be on world-building and setting, or just run like a Nintendo game?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This reminds me of the 1e days. The wizard class had level titles such as sorcerer and warlock.
We ignored those since level is meta, but what you call yourself is your own business. If you want your wizard to call himself a magus or thaumaturge, go for it. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads