• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lunar Colossus, conversion from Creature Collection 2

ruemere

Adventurer
As I'm still running my Scarred Lands campaign, I have to convert (or convert and modify) creatures from Creature Collection series. What follows, is a sample of my work, and as it is probably quite accurate, I hope that someone finds it useful (or worthwhile posting a comment or two).

Please note that OGL Open Content specification from Creature Collection 2 Dark Menagerie prevents me from using original creature name, description or making any direct references to the setting.

Should anyone want to compare it against original creature - it's Moon Giant, pages 113-114.

--------------------

Notes on conversion

The original creature is a mix of strong physical brute and high level save-or-suck spellcaster. Because of this, I have increased original CR (creature abilities allow it to be very effective at ranged, melee and skirmish combat) by 4, while retaining most of the original scores and abilities.

As I had to come up with my own description, I have decided to use vaguely similar theme, and expand a little upon creature's function in the setting.

The creature is intended to be either a sphinx-like in its function (a guardian of sorts), a solo boss, or a dangerous recurring villain.

The biggest difficulty - the creature lacks skills to reflect its original competence. Outsiders come with 6 + INT * HD skill ranks, 60 in this case. The number of important skills: 7. Meaning that the creature is unlikely to come close to skill maximums (18 hitdice, 126 skill points needed to fill those skills). Still, the most important skills (Perception, Perform and Stealth) are covered... though with Perform I had to axe additional skills.

Hopefully the end result is satisfactory.

--------------------

Lunar Colossus, The Gatekeeper of Moonlit Passages

A huge doll-like creature of porcelain flesh watches you impassively from shadows. It seems to be neither male nor female, its head is round like a full moon, and its eyes swirl slowly with hundreds of colors. There is a large silvery key on a chain around its waist, and a huge morningstar idly rests in creature's beefy hand.
Lunar Colossus CR 14
XP 38400
NE Huge outsider (evil, extraplanar) (Creature Collection 2 Dark Menagerie p.113)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., see in darkness; Perception +22

DEFENSE
AC 24, touch 10, flat-footed 22 (+2 Dex, +14 natural, -2 size)
hp 207 (18d10+108)
Fort +17, Ref +8, Will +15
Immune cold, poison, doesn't breathe (cannot drown or suffocate)

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., fly 40 ft. (average)
Melee huge morningstar +28/+23/+18/+13 (3d6+12) or two slams +28 (2d6+12)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 18th)
Constant-displacement
At will-deeper darkness, detect good, see invisibility, detect magic, dispel magic, faerie fire, invisibility, silence (DC 15), silent image (DC 14)
3/day-dimension door, insanity (DC 20), major image (DC 14), freezing sphere (DC 19), projected image (DC 20), scrying (DC 17)
1/day-reverse gravity (DC 20), shadow walk

TACTICS
Before combat Lunar Colossi are very cautious. They begin most interactions using their projected image. Should they determine that hostilities are to begin, they use their powers to distance from opponents, hide and plot attack order.
During combat Lunar Colossus usually cover the whole area of conflict in impenetrable darkness. Only then they begin to single targets for their offensive spells. Once the chief threats are disabled, Lunar Colossus proceeds to charge and kill weakest opponents.
Morale Once reduced below 70 hitpoints, Lunar Colossus will attempt to flee using dimension door. At some point, it will attempt to use scrying to exact vengeance.

STATISTICS
Str 35, Dex 14, Con 22, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 17
Base Atk +28; CMB +32; CMD 44
Feats Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Overrun, Power Attack (-5 attack/+10 damage or -5 attack/+15 damage), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Deeper Darkness, 3/day), Vital Strike, Improved Vital Strike, Greater Vital Strike (morningstar +9d6 damage, slam +6d6 damage)
Skills Acrobatics +11, Knowledge (planes) +12, Perception +22, Perform (oratory - poetry, ballad, eulogy, lamentation) +12, Sense Motive +13, Spellcraft +12, Stealth +20
Languages telepathy 100 ft.
Combat Gear huge morningstar; Other Gear large silvery key (500 GP, 50 lbs)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Gatekeeper of Moonlit Passages (Su): As a standard action Lunar Colossus can use a focus in a form of large silvery key to create a new or open an
existing moonlight gate. Once open, the gate remains open as long as there is sufficient moonlight (d4 x 10 minutes). All creatures
entering the gate are transported to gate destination (as per plane shift) or to the intermediate destination for the souls of the departed.
See in Darkness (Su): Lunar Colossi can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, including darkness caused by supernatural abilities and spells.
Spell Turning (Su): Every round, a lunar colossus turns the first 10 spell levels directed at him, as per spell turning spell.

ECOLOGY
Environment cold or temperate mountains, lunar pathways or moonbridges, moon
Organization solitary or band (1-2 lunar colossi, 1-6 lunar watchers, 2-12 lunar headlings)
Treasure double standard
Lunar Colossus (plural Lunar Colossi) is a sacred guardian of mystic gates brought into existence by the light of the moon.
It uses its silvery key to open gate for spirits of the dead and other servants of the moon. Other beings must either bargain or force their way through. Standard price it exacts from travellers is either the body and life of a sentient being (quickly devoured prior to opening a gate) or a limb (hand or leg) of an artist. In rare cases, should an individual impress Lunar Colossus with its performance skill, it will accept a poem or a single finger.
Silvery key is a symbolic focus for the gate-opening ability. Without the key Lunar Colossus cannot focus properly.
Lunar Colossus relentlessly pursues anyone endangering travellers of moonbridges and their clashes with astral predators are legendary.
The gatekeepers often enter the gates to watch over the charges. While guarding travellers, they gleefully eat those who disturb the peace of the travellers, including misbehaving travellers.

Lore - Knowledge (Planes) or Knowledge (Religion):
- DC 24 - This is Lunar Colossus. Ancient and evil servant of the moon.
- DC 29 - Lunar Colossi open gates for souls of the departed. They can be bargained with lives, but care must be taken as they are prone to bouts of terrible fury. They speak directly into mind and they more than a little obsessive with their duties.
- DC 34 - Lunar Colossi are outsiders who watch over souls of the dead passing through shadow, astral and moonbridges. They relentlessly pursue their foes, plaguing their opponents with nightmares and insanity. Lunar Colossus perceives both insanity and art as holy. As such, it seeks madmen and artists, to both appreciate and devour.

OGL, section 15 COPYRIGHT NOTICE
Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
System Reference Document. Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, based on material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. Copyright 2009, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Author: Jason Bulmahn, based on material by Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, and Skip Williams.
The Book of Experimental Might. Copyright 2008, Monte J. Cook. All rights reserved.
Tome of Horrors. Copyright 2002, Necromancer Games, Inc.; Authors: Scott Greene, with Clark Peterson, Erica Balsley, Kevin Baase, Casey Christofferson, Lance Hawvermale, Travis Hawvermale, Patrick Lawinger, and Bill Webb; Based on original content from TSR.
Creature Collection, Copyright 2000, Clark Peterson.
Creature Collection Revised, Copyright 2003, White Wolf Publishing.
Withered Flowers Campaign Publication. Copyright 2010, Patryk Adamski (Ruemere).
Relics & Rituals Copyright 2001, Clark Peterson.
Creature Collection 2: Dark Menagerie Copyright 2001, White Wolf Publishing, Inc.

--------------------

Regards,
Ruemere

Last edited:

Remove ads