• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Fantasy Atlas

whimsychris123

Adventurer
As someone who likes to homebrew but who doesn’t make maps, I would love a collection of connected maps all belonging to the same world. Maps that include a world or at least a continental map, regional maps, maps of towns and cities, and adventuring locations. I don’t want a detailed setting, just the maps. I’ll fill in the rest.

I l would think many homebrewers would like collections like this, but they are surprisingly hard to come by. The closest I’ve seen are the old Forgotten Realms Atlas and Atlas of the Dragonlance World books. But those are such well-known, detailed, and trodden worlds, I don’t think I want to use those.

Does anybody know of such collections? I prefer books, but online resources are welcome.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The Kingdoms of Kalamar Atlas for D&D 3rd edition is a big hardcover of nothing but full color maps. The Perilous Lands box set for Powers & Perils contains a softcover atlas of full color maps.

[Edit: The Perilous Lands is also largely system-neutral, as is Kingdoms of Kalamar, which makes them two of my all-time favorite fantasy RPG settings.]

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The OLD Judges Guild Wilderlands products were essentially nothing but 4 sepiatone maps per sourcebook with some encounter areas described but not really statted out. Unfortunately, those are all over $100 each in good condition, even for the 2nd printings.

However, at some point, some of that material got reprinted, in color. Here’s one:

The Perilous Lands box set for Powers & Perils contains a softcover atlas of full color maps.

[Edit: The Perilous Lands is also largely system-neutral, as is Kingdoms of Kalamar, which makes them two of my all-time favorite fantasy RPG settings.]
Arguably the best thing to come out of Powers & Perils. Not exactly a fan of the system, but the setting was pretty useful. I cribbed it for use as alternate/alien worlds to use with Spelljammer, Planescape, and Stormbringer/Hawkmoon over the years, among others. Sometimes you just want a handy pre-made world for the PCs to run around in for a few sessions as they're passing through and it's nice to have one most folks will not recognize as being cribbed - especially these days.

Can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned already, but poking around the OSR community should turn up quite a few maps - there are whole blogs more-or-less devoted to them, although those tend to be more dungeon delve focused than geographical.

Last edited:

Remove ads