• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog (A5E) Level Up: Origins List

As we near our final manuscript for the first three chapters of Level Up, here's a quick look at our near-final list of heritages, cultures, backgrounds, and destinies. The first chunk of the book will be going into layout soon, and we thank you for all the vital playtest feedback you’ve given us. Note that the below is not the layout of appearance of the final book! This list may change...

As we near our final manuscript for the first three chapters of Level Up, here's a quick look at our near-final list of heritages, cultures, backgrounds, and destinies. The first chunk of the book will be going into layout soon, and we thank you for all the vital playtest feedback you’ve given us. Note that the below is not the layout of appearance of the final book!

This list may change slightly, but it is near-final. As you can see, many cultures have become ‘general’ cultures, but also the handful of core legacy 5E cultures have been preserved as unique cultures in their own right (i.e. a wood elf is different to a forest gnome, despite them both living in woods, and they exist alongside the generic wildling culture).

lu_origins.jpg

Continue reading...

Horwath

Legend
Can we find a word without so much racist imperialist subtext? The past was very bad and in a game that is supposed to be fun for all it would be nice to find a word without so much baggage.
almost everything in D&D has huge baggage.

How many French did die because of longbow? Should they feel offended?
How many fell under scimitars used by Ottomans?
How many fell under longswords/arming swords used by Crusaders?
How many peasants did samurai slaughtered by katanas in Japan?
How many women burned with oil accused for witchcraft? Should we not have oil and tinder in PHB?

learn from history so you do not repeat it. But don't be chained by it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Can "Settler" be renamed? In the past that word has been used to refer to the first white people in an area, ignoring the other people who were already there and were pushed aside or killed.

What would you rename it to?

Also, the word has been used to describe people who are literally the first in the area--including people who would later become the indigenous peoples. I.e., when people such as the eventual Native Americans/First Peoples came to the North American continent via the land bridge--they were settlers.

Argyle King

Legend
Can "Settler" be renamed? In the past that word has been used to refer to the first white people in an area, ignoring the other people who were already there and were pushed aside or killed.

I'm interested to hear more about that. Understanding how language is currently understood is related to some of the work I do. If you could PM additional information to me, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn about how others may see or hear things.

I'm aware that "colonizer" has racist connotations in contemporary communication.
I was unaware that "settler" had similar connotations.
------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the OP:

What does Destiny add? I'm not familiar with what it adds to a character which 5E doesn't.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Regarding the OP:

What does Destiny add? I'm not familiar with what it adds to a character which 5E doesn't.

Argyle King

Legend

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm aware that "colonizer" has racist connotations in contemporary communication.
That's because it doesn't.

A settler is simply someone who settles somewhere. It doesn't carry any racist baggage. Certainly, white settlers have done some awful things during colonization . . . but the word itself isn't problematic.

Argyle King

Legend

A settler is simply someone who settles somewhere. It doesn't carry any racist baggage. Certainly, white settlers have done some awful things during colonization . . . but the word itself isn't problematic.

I think (or had thought) similarly concerning other words which the culture (and contemporary rpg writers) around me deem to be problematic.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
I'm interested to hear more about that. Understanding how language is currently understood is related to some of the work I do. If you could PM additional information to me, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn about how others may see or hear things.

------------------------------------------------------------
See here. Settler colonialism - Wikipedia

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer

Settler implies the region was unsettled. That can imply that the organizations that the people who lived here already don't count, because they don't count.

For instance did Europeans "settle" New England, or did Europeans "conquer" New England?

Remove ads

Remove ads