• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS Let's find hommages and references!

Lylandra

Adventurer
Hey you all,

after playing through roughly 1/3 of the WotBS campaign so far, I've stumbled across quite a few references or hommages to other fantasy setting, series or games. And since I am obviously a big geek, but haven't seen or read everything that RangerWickett or the other authors might have included, why not make finding (maybe all? I know, this is pretty delusional ;) ) the references a collaborative effort.

For those who are still playing WotBS as players, be warned, there will be spoilers! (obviously)
So, let's start this:

Adventure #2, the tower by the bridge: "Speak 'friend' and enter" in elven. This one was pretty obvious since it is a classic from the Mines of Moria scene in Lord of the Rings where Gandalf needs quite a few hours to speak "mellon".

Adventure #4, Lord Megadon: The Megalodon was a giant, now extinct shark. Given Megadon's financial success (at the expense of others), this name fits him.

Adventure#5 and beyond, the Tempest: Well, one could interpret the name of the Airship as a reference to the famous Shakespearean play, but in my opinion, the ship itself is a gigantic (he, he) hommage to the airship Invincible from Final Fantasy 9, including the evil eye and everything. Now, that would give Pilus the role of Garland, wouldn't it?

Adventure #5 and beyond, Pilus and Longinus: The direct translation of pilus would be "hair", but one could also see a reference to the legend of the Roman knight Longinus, whose lance (originally lancea, but a pilum is a spear-like weapon as well) has gotten fame via the Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise.

Adventure #5, Caela: Not so much a reference, but Caela means "skies" in latin.

General: Shahalesti/Taranesti follow the naming tradition of elven kin on Krynn: Silvanesti, Qualinesti...

General: Given the Ranger's love for Final Fantasy games, one could see Leska and her seizing of power in Ragesia as hommage to the witch Edea who took over Galbadia in a quite ruthless and tyrannocidical way.

I'll add more references if I stumble across some more. Feel free to add your own opinions and finidings!

I *am* a fan of witches from FF8. I never actually played FF9, but I do recall seeing an anime music video using FF9 that had the weird eye thing, so maybe I internalized that. Tempest was inspired more Moya from Farscape, though.

You got the names for Pilus and Longinus right, though.

It's a bit of an EN World in-reference, but Drakus Coaltongue was named after by "Dranko Coaltongue," long-time character of Piratecat, one of the moderators. See Sagiro's Story Hour. Dranko was a somewhat goofy half-orc, though, not a warlord.

In adventure 12, my memory's a bit fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I named some Ragesian general and his horse after a character from HBO's Rome.

thekwp

First Post
Kiernan jokingly suggests constructing a complicated, trap-laden dungeon to hold the immortal witch for all eternity, and everyone gets a good laugh at how ridiculous that idea is.

Reading that the first time gave me a good laugh, too. While there may be a specific reference there, I just found it incredibly humorous for the dismissal of a trope that fills the genre.

Lylandra

Adventurer
I *am* a fan of witches from FF8. I never actually played FF9, but I do recall seeing an anime music video using FF9 that had the weird eye thing, so maybe I internalized that. Tempest was inspired more Moya from Farscape, though.

You got the names for Pilus and Longinus right, though.

It's a bit of an EN World in-reference, but Drakus Coaltongue was named after by "Dranko Coaltongue," long-time character of Piratecat, one of the moderators. See Sagiro's Story Hour. Dranko was a somewhat goofy half-orc, though, not a warlord.

In adventure 12, my memory's a bit fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I named some Ragesian general and his horse after a character from HBO's Rome.

Oh yes, I totally missed the loyal steed Vorenus!
And that maybe makes Dranko Coaltongue the most referenced player character of recent times, considering that he's also a techno-magical warship in Zeitgeist.
You should definietly give FF9 a try :) ithe game combines lighthearted, sometimes comical, classical RPG elements and really deep, existentialistic themes. Of all FFs I've played so far(all but 3 and 15), it is one of my biggest favourites.

Reading that the first time gave me a good laugh, too. While there may be a specific reference there, I just found it incredibly humorous for the dismissal of a trope that fills the genre.

HAHA yes! There are more meta-jokes like this hidden in the adventures... I remember Sheena & co. were trying to research the Burning Sky effect and then found out that you can reduce the 40d6 fire damage to 38d6 during midnight hours. Kiernan then suggests that maybe a simple polymorph into something with fire immunity might be a teeny tiny bit more effective for people who wish to teleport.

Mrpereira

Explorer
Having just completed chapter 8 I must say that the idea of playing the Star Wars soundtrack was quite tempting. There are quite a few Star wars / 'death star references in that chapter

Bill T.

Explorer
OK, how about a real one: Dractyl, the wyvern ridden by Stonum at the northernmost tower in Alydi Gap, is almost a contraction of Pteradactyl. Very fitting for a flying lizard!

I'm not sure what Stonum might refer to, though.

Bill T.

Explorer
I just now laughed out loud at "a troll mercenary who has been lurking under the bridge" in the section on scaling the Glaskeel Cliffs in adventure 4. A reference to Scandanavian folk tales! Mind you, most of the trolls I've put in my adventures live under bridges, too -- it should be in their Environment entry.

Last edited:

Remove ads