• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS -- built for 5 PCs?

Ian Demagi

Explorer
KotS

I am running it with 6 PC's

1/2 Elf StarLock
Elven Bow Ranger
Human Rogue-Brawny type
Dwarven -Fighter( Great Weapon type)
Human Wizard- Blaster
Tiefling Warlord (inspiring)

I had a different view than my PC's. I thought they wiped up the floor with the goblins until they got into IronTooth and his crew. At the end the Wizard, Starlock, and Warlord were down and I must say that I rolled like crap ( for example the Wyrm piest dragon breath did a mighty 6 points!

I really thought that they had the upperhand the whole time. They thought I was very mistaken. The Elven Ranger was very powerful as was the Warlord. The Starlock and Rogue had some good moments too. The Wizard was more or less a distraction more than anything and did not hit much. The MVP-the Dwarven Fighter-hard to hit-hard to keep damaged. In retro spect I think the Players were right, run with 5PC's this may have been a TPK.

Biggest overall impression: If characters are not made well and do not function well together, TPK's lay in future, Ian.

Also, I am really beginging to hate minions especially 10 at a time!

Last edited:

Giantcavecrab

First Post
You think Iron tooth is hard??

Wait till you set the 'Slimes' on them :)

Mullered my entire party with a combination of slimes last night, and they hammered Iron tooth (not un-scathed but convincingly)

'Rest - up' at the end of the Blue slime encounter seemed like a good Idea (and the end of last nights session)

Nail

First Post
I ran 5 PCs through the kobold and goblin parts of KotS this last weekend. The players even used the pre-gens. Talk about weaksauce....

The first ambush took awhile, as many of you have said -- but hey, we're learning a new system here! It's not terribly surprising the fights go long at first....just give yourself a few months.

Even with 5 pre-gen PCs, the Kobold lair outside was barely a speed-bump for the PCs. Tactics - especially allowing the kobolds to follow the strategy given in the Adventure Packet - made the fight a cake-walk. That's right: following the printed tactics makes the encounter easier. Of course, the PCs saw the alarm potential at the end, and dealt with it in time.

The Irontooth fight was easy. They didn't try stealth, just a slow focused progression. The fight got a bit dicey at the start because the PCs spread out too much. But then the Paladin saved it all by using his "I win!" power.

You know about that one, don't you? You don't? It's called "Intimidate skill use --> surrender". Look it up. It's so broken it's scary.

Last edited:

Remove ads