• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Kobold Press' Black Flag System Reference Document Released

Developer tool released under Open RPG Creator (ORC) License.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 10.11.04.png

The System Reference Document--called the Black Flag Reference Document or BFRD--for Kobold Press' Black Flag roleplaying game system--launched as a reaction to the Open Gaming License crisis caused by Wizards of the Coast in 2022/2023--has been released under the Open RPG Creative (ORC) License, a viral share-alike license designed to replace the Open Gaming License.

A System Reference Document is a tool for third party developers, and contains the rules text that those creators are permitted to use, along with examples of how certain rules elements--such as subclasses--work.

The document includes lineages, heritages, classes, spells, monsters, and more.

The BFRD is the second major third-party 'alternate 5E' SRD to be released, following the Level Up: Advanced 5E SRD (A5ESRD) from EN Publishing.

Wizards of the Coast announced this week that the 2024 core rules of Dungeon & Dragons would be added to their own System Reference Document in 2025.

GrimCo

Adventurer
Off the top of my head, you have EN Publishings LevelUp as well as Fate having full SRDs.
And there are tons of other games without full on srd-s. Like Chaosium games, old White Wolf games, SJG etc
Look, if you don't find value in those other elements, you weren't going to buy the game anyway. Did you buy adventures or setting material?
Nope. Never bought any of it. But i bought core rulebooks for CoC, oWoD and nWoD game lines, 7th sea core rulebook. I buy core books and player option books plus monster compendiums. Stuff needed to run the game. Adventures and settings not so much.
But it won't because the rules aren't the value.
I would disagree. There is value in the rules. For people that don't use premade adventure/settings, core rulebooks is one of the few books in game line that has value.

And to be honest, i would actually pay for good full game srd. Searchability and ease of use makes it worh money.

I just see business logic in not giving full games for free. At lest for smaller companies that need every dolar and euro they can get.

mamba

Legend
If it has a mechanical expression in the game, it is Open. It's that simple.
so in other words, yes, subclasses, spells, magic items, monsters all become open, but you are not required to release an SRD, so the only way to get your content would be to buy your product (at least until it starts spreading to other products)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
so in other words, yes, subclasses, spells, magic items, monsters all become open, but you are not required to release an SRD, so the only way to get your content would be to buy your product (at least until it starts spreading to other products)
Yes. I believe that is a feature rather than a bug.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
As I said, the ORC does declare certain non-mechanical things part of the ORC and no longer IP
No. It doesn't. It very specifically state game mechanics. You, however, are folding in some other stuff to make a point. I just think you should state the point clearly.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I understand that you do, but I can pretty much argue either way, it depends on what your goal is
I mean, we all have preferences and lines. I created a different thread to talk about this stuff for the intentional purpose of not gumming up this one with my particulars.

But if you must know, here they are: I don't support companies that take advantage of Open Gaming and do not give back. That doesn't necessarily include Kobold at this point. Like I said, they previously returned a lot of their work into the OGC pool. They may end up publishing stuff under ORC that adds to the pool of OGC. Or, they may go the WotC route, or worse the Monte Cook Games route. If so, I won't be buying their stuff.

Remove ads

Remove ads