• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Is there room in modern gaming for the OSR to bring in new gamers?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
How many editions do you like? D&D usnt going to appeal to everyone.

If you only like 1 edition though i don't think the problem is D&D but your tastes are very specific.
My favorites are OD&D and 1st/2nd ed. 3/3.5e has a lot of good in it too. Even 4e is a well-designed game I don't happen to care for personally. 5e mostly gets by with stuff I liked cribbed from previous versions, and lore that (until recently) worked  OK if I squinted.

Zardnaar

Legend
My favorites are OD&D and 1st/2nd ed. 3/3.5e has a lot of good in it too. Even 4e is a well-designed game I don't happen to care for personally. 5e mostly gets by with stuff I liked cribbed from previous versions, and lore that (until recently) worked  OK if I squinted.

I like most editions the WotC ones are ear the bottom except for 5E.

OD&D kinda gets a pass as it's very rough but understandable.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I like most editions the WotC ones are ear the bottom except for 5E.

OD&D kinda gets a pass as it's very rough but understandable.
OD&D's evolution as BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia is my preference for that line (and more specifically OSR games based on it).

Vaalingrade

Legend
All those times when people complained how THACO is an inferior mechanic, I never realized they were personally insulting me as an ADnD fan. Who knew? 🤷🏼‍♂️
We can come back to this when people say THACO was inferior because it was about hitting better by literally being worse at hitting things or something.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
While amusingly we both want different things, we both feel like 5e is not for us at all, and are told here by various folks, that we should be happy for what we get.

Funny, in a sad way.

The 'big tent' strikes again.

I haven't seen anybody make a "be happy with what you get" argument. The point I do see, and have made myself, is "if D&D doesn't give you what you want there are scores of other games to choose from."

And then I found Shadowdark and took my own advice. Just in time to dodge the "Weapon Mastery" bullet.

Remove ads