• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Nine Too Young for SWSE?

I'm thinking about buying it for my nephew for Xmas. It would be his first exposure to RPGs.

He's a smart kid; good, but not excellent reading skills for his age.

He's a SW fanatic.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'm thinking about buying it for my nephew for Xmas. It would be his first exposure to RPGs.

He's a SW fanatic.

If you helped with it, or ran a few games for him while teaching him the rules in the book, maybe. I think that really only you can judge whether he'll understand the rules or not. Maybe get him some Star Wars Minis also and run a game for him.

I'd say definitely!

Even if he only understands a quarter of it, can't play it yet and doesn't quite know what to do with it all, it will still be like a grain of sand and an oyster. He'll cart it around, read it here and there, and gradually it'll be realized as the genesis of his gaming life. I cannot think of a more fantastic gift than the one that introduces someone to our wonderful hobby.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

pawsplay

Hero

He's a SW fanatic.

Sure, why not? If he sticks with it for a few months, he'll probably end up a little advanced in reading and math compared to his peers. Plus it's got a nice cover.

I started with the D&D basic set at age 8. Granted, I may not have had the best grasp of all the rules when I first started, but I dug the heck out of it, none the less.

I think that SWSE at age nine is a fine idea, and, if you were to supply some adult supervision, guidance, and assistance, would be super-cool.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
A friend of mine has her 7-year-old playing in our Star Wars game. We have to occasionally say "No, you don't do that," but for the most part, he plays well enough.

arscott

First Post
I had a SWSE game with a 10yo kid and his father, and it worked great--But I'd definitely recommend having an adult GM to teach them the rules.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Definately. Even if he doesn't get into the gaming, he'll enjoy all the cool SW stuff, and it will certainly help him become a better reader.

Remove ads