• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it fun to plan a heist?

Do you feel like planning a heist in an RPG is worthwhile?

• No — just skip it or give mechanical shortcuts like Flasbacks

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Sometimes — a little planning (or quick montage) goes a long way

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Yes — planning can be just as fun (if not more fun) as actually doing a heist

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes, that's the point.
Great. But since it's a point that doesn't support your thesis that Blades in the Dark handwaves planning, I continue to assert that.

I do not accept that "any game that does not have a formalized planning stage therefore handwaves planning", especially when presenting multiple mechanics that explicitly support planning.

Please, address the points made previously if you wish to continue the debate.

Great. But since it's a point that doesn't support your thesis that Blades in the Dark handwaves planning, I continue to assert that.

I do not accept that "any game that does not have a formalized planning stage therefore handwaves planning", especially when presenting multiple mechanics that explicitly support planning.

Please, address the points made previously if you wish to continue the debate.
This is just semantic quibbling and besides the point. The whole purpose of the thread is to compare traditional planning and the Blades approach.

Last edited:

Blue

This is just semantic quibbling and besides the point. The whole purpose of the tread is to compare traditional planning and the Blades approach.
Calling it semantic quibbling seems dismissive, when it's documented points on one side and someone else refusing to refute those point yet still not accept them, but sure, let's move on.

We already have how Blades mechanically supports planning across it's phases of play. Outside of the generic skill system, what mechanical supports for planning does a more traditional system provide?

I can see some, depending on the system. Divination, Net Running, etc. Useful for the information gathering aspects. What about the planning and preparation aspects?

Blue

You have just shown that you will always be happy to have a flashback mechanic. In no way have you shown that everyone should always enjoy flashback mechanics, or at least not mind them.

Some people like playing games where they only have control of their character, in the moment. And if their character doesn't have the power to spontaneously invent or rewrite past events, then they don't want that ability as players. Such players will find a flashback mechanic a net negative.
A player is never forced to use the flashback mechanics and can play as they wish. But by the same token, a player shouldn't have the option taken away by another player so they can play as they wish.

And as mentioned, Blades explicitly has a Free Play phase before the Engagement phase, which can entirely contain traditional planning. It also, during it's Downtime Activities phase, has multiple activities to help with the next heist.

So you as a player who only wants to be in the moment can play Blades exactly as you wish, with no harm to you.

So yes, I am showing that for everyone it can be at worst no harm to how they wish to play.

You do have to accept though that people don't have the right to gatekeep other players fun and enjoyment in that they can use the Flashback mechanism if they wish. Basically, the only way to claim a negative is if you say your right to play as you want is a truth, but other player's right to play as they want needs to bow to your wishes. And that's not an defendable point.

It's OK to like something without needing to convince everyone else that they also like it.
It's also okay not to try to minimize someone's points by claiming that they are just a personal preference.

Outside of the generic skill system, what mechanical supports for planning does a more traditional system provide?

I think a question thats more to the point is does there need to be specific mechanics for it.

This is one of those things where one might be trying to mechanize what humans are already good at doing on their own: leadership, teamwork, learning, and so on.

Given enough tools to interact with the gameworld, and a gameworld thats concrete enough to interact with for that matter, and you can easily leave these aspects to emergence rather than explicit mechanics.

This I think tends to be the root of why the flashback isn't always a revelation and can feel unsatisfying; the gameworld is wishy washy and you can't really interact with it. You can interact with the "fiction", but the thing about fiction is that it too becomes wishy washy when you emphasize story telling as a game over story making.

Its a common thing in fiction writing that characters never actually struggling with the unexpected is, well, bad fiction writing. The flashback, as a stand in for planning fiction, pretty much dips into that issue. It can feel inauthentic and predictable, and it makes conflict too easy to avoid, particularly in a game style thats supposed to be about conflict.

You could then point to Stress or complications or what have you, but these don't resolve the root issue with the mechanic. A meta currency is a meta currency, and having complications spin out of a flashback is just swapping one issue for another, so the entire point of the flashback from a gamefeel perspective is kind of wasted.

You might have done the cool thing, but now none of it may as well have happened. It became superflous to the story.

A player is never forced to use the flashback mechanics and can play as they wish

In the same way DND players don't have to be Casters to be useful on adventures. /s

Blue

I think a question thats more to the point is does there need to be specific mechanics for it.
Need? No. Want, most definitely depending on what you are running.

You can play an RPG without any rules whatsoever. It requires absolute trust in the GM, and put a heavy load on them to be fair and consistant, especially over time.

Rules help make the game (as in RPG) better. They reduce the load on the GM. They present a shared understanding between everyone at the table, gets them on the same page.

Now, too many rules can be as bad as too few. And if you're going to do a scenario that involves heavy planning only a few times in a campaign then having rules or a subsystem for it it too heavy.

But if planning is going to be a more common occurrence, then yes, having mechanical support for it is better than not.

This is one of those things where one might be trying to mechanize what humans are already good at doing on their own: leadership, teamwork, learning, and so on.
As already explained, the right amount of rules help shared understanding and the game.

Plus, this view is incorrect. One of the points being talked about is a flashback mechanism. Human beings are much better at hindsight ("we need to deal with this problem we now know about") than foresight ("we need to come up with all potential risks, assign chance of happening and cost of failure, and work out mitigation plans if it's worth it"). I've done the latter professionally. And the former.

Given enough tools to interact with the gameworld, and a gameworld thats concrete enough to interact with for that matter, and you can easily leave these aspects to emergence rather than explicit mechanics.
Sure, truism is a truism. I'm fine with, for example, the tool of a flashback mechanic being used anywhere. Haggling with a merchant, have a flashback where you found out the prices from his competitors. If tools are limited to just planning or not isn't an important distinction.

I know you meant this the other way, but a flashback mechanic has such session time efficiency results, meaning you can pack more into the same amount of wall clock time, that a "given enough tools" basically requires it for a Heist-moderate game to be "enough tools".

This I think tends to be the root of why the flashback isn't always a revelation and can feel unsatisfying; the gameworld is wishy washy and you can't really interact with it. You can interact with the "fiction", but the thing about fiction is that it too becomes wishy washy when you emphasize story telling as a game over story making.

Its a common thing in fiction writing that characters never actually struggling with the unexpected is, well, bad fiction writing. The flashback, as a stand in for planning fiction, pretty much dips into that issue. It can feel inauthentic and predictable, and it makes conflict too easy to avoid, particularly in a game style thats supposed to be about conflict.
No more than hit points. In real life, someone hit by a giant's axe isn't springing around and fighting at full potential. But in the heroic fantasy genre they are. HPs give an ablative ability to ignore getting dropped by attacks to better emulate the genre -- until it's too many and you drop anyway. Flashbacks do the same thing, a limited resource that lets you work around some complications in a heist to better emulate the genre. To be honest, a lot less than HPs because you don't also have to spend HPs on other things.

You could then point to Stress or complications or what have you, but these don't resolve the root issue with the mechanic. A meta currency is a meta currency, and having complications spin out of a flashback is just swapping one issue for another, so the entire point of the flashback from a gamefeel perspective is kind of wasted.
As mentioned above, they do solve the exact same issue as HPs. Spending a currency to allow your character to do things they couldn't otherwise is a very well accepted part of every RPG. It's not a defendable argument that it's not acceptable since we see for a fact in game after game that sort of thing is acceptable.

You might have done the cool thing, but now none of it may as well have happened. It became superflous to the story.
I don't follow the logic there.

First, there is a cost in the currency of Stress for all but the most mundane, which is something you use both to fuel other cool things, help others, resist dying and imparements - it is meaningful to spend it. And the cost goes up for more elaborate flashbacks needed. And it's not like D&D's long rest, you will most likely not have recovered all of your stress by the next heist so it will have a lasting impact.

Second, because it's a cost, it's important to the story when you choose to use it or not, so it's never superflous, it's at worst an opportunity cost.

Third, it's can't change anything that's hit the table. Want to have known about the pat-down to the poker game and hidden your weapons? Sure. But once your weapons are found that can't be reversed by a flashback. It's still a tool for planning, it's just one you can use in the short term. It can't do anything for things that have happened.

Blue

From the Blades in the Dark rulebook:

ACT NOW, PLAN LATER
In roleplay gaming, spending a bunch of time planning can be really boring and
pointless. You have a long talk about a dozen “what if” scenarios that never come
to pass in play. All the points and counter-points about hypothetical situations
turn out to be wasted time. Instead, move on to the action—and then “plan”
using flashbacks or downtime actions instead.
Plan with a flashback when the engagement roll goes wrong. You’re about to
break into the museum of antiquities but the engagement roll comes up 2—
your crew is suddenly accosted by the patrol of moonlighting Bluecoats who
are working as security. Oh no! We should have planned for this! Nah, just call
for a flashback.
“Let’s have a flashback to the night before for a setup maneuver. We see Silver
Consorting with our Bluecoat contact, Laroze. Maybe she was able to get some
dirt on the local Bluecoat officers that she can use for leverage now—for better
effect if we Sway him to look the other way...”
See how this is a much more badass form of planning? You could have discussed
the merits of Consorting with Laroze ahead of time, just in case, in an endless
debate of risk and reward. Or, you can wait to see the trouble you’re in, then
flashback to a preparation that exactly applies to the situation at hand—making
your character look terribly clever and cool. Much better, yeah? One of the reasons
why the PCs have all those stress boxes is so you can do sly retro-planning
maneuvers like this. Sure, this business with Laroze is a little far-fetched, but
that’s okay. That’s what the stress cost is for. Pay the stress for the flashback and
you have a perfect plan ready to go.
Your flashback doesn’t undo the result of the engagement roll—it isn’t time travel.
Instead, you attempt to address the current bad outcome by making a roll as
normal, except in this case the action takes place in the past. The bad engagement
roll still matters—you’re in a bad spot—but by using a flashback for your action
you can show how your earlier planning helps you deal with it now.
As long as you have stress to burn and a fun idea for a flashback, you can deflect
or block some of the trouble from bad engagements after you see what they are,
rather than trying to anticipate everything beforehand.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
A lot of this comes down to "what's the goal?"

If we want to emulate in play the experience of watching Oceans 11, some sort of flashback mechanic is essentially required.

But that isn't necessarily the goal for everyone planning a heist. Some people want the "I love it when a plan comes together" experience, and they want it honestly. So there is no singular right answer.

But if planning is going to be a more common occurrence, then yes, having mechanical support for it is better than not.

Not necessarily. Thats why I pointed to the issue of mechanizing what humans are good at doing. You don't need fantastical traits to do something like planning a heist, even in a fantastical context.

This is why I've said in other discussions that things like Social Combat are complete dead ends as mechanics. You don't need rules to talk.

Human beings are much better at hindsight ("we need to deal with this problem we now know about") than foresight ("we need to come up with all potential risks, assign chance of happening and cost of failure, and work out mitigation plans if it's worth it"). I've done the latter professionally. And the former.

Except human beings in heist fiction don't rely on hindsight in their adventures. 😉

Thats a very important distinction to keep in mind when we are talking about gamifying some sort of activity. As Clearstream likes to bring up, you can have a mismatched ludonarrative.

And to be perfectly clear, that mismatch sticks out like a sore thumb if one is familiar with the fiction being emulated at a structural and procedural level.

I know you meant this the other way, but a flashback mechanic has such session time efficiency results, meaning you can pack more into the same amount of wall clock time, that a "given enough tools" basically requires it for a Heist-moderate game to be "enough tools".

Sure, if time efficiency is absolutely critical I can buy that for a dollar.

But at the same time, when I'm talking about tools I'm not referring to overly complex Planning procedures that have to be followed in X way every single time.

I'm referring to having your basic "controls", to simplify, having the right cross section of depth and simplicity that people have the freedom to act in the way they want to accomplish whatever task they set themselves.

If one takes to rulings over rules, you can typically get there with just Ability scores if you want to go super minimalist.

I think, though, not just for ensuring fidelity in Planning, but fidelity in all supposed activities Players could get interested in doing, that more is worthwhile. Not to shoehorn my game into the convo, but look at this list of Skills:

1000005465.jpg

32 split up into pairs of 4 under 8 of the 9 Attributes in the game.

While on first glance one might jump to the conclusion that its bloat, that's not the case; they're all there for a reason, as there's a core set of experiences I wanted to foster in the game, and this is what I've pared down to the most essential to deliver the fidelity I want for those experiences. (And they pull double duty as they govern progression and a number of other things)

I have, by no means, critically examined heists in particular in fostering this list, but from what I know of heist fiction (at least in a medeival context anyhow; obviously we're not talking high tech stuff here), I can't think of anything that somebody couldn't explore doing to support a heist that isn't present.

And when we take this, and consider both my take on 1d20+x and a decent resolution Degree of Success system (-10,-5,0,+5,+10)? There's a lot of ways to make any bonkers plan work just on the power of skills alone.

When we take that and put it into a more concrete gameworld that isn't entirely made up on the fly? And then we start talking about Classes and Professions and all that?

Yeah, you can get there.

===

And as a caveat, yes, even with improv standing behind much of that (ie rulings), we obviously are talking about a game you can't knock out in an hour. But thats not unintentional. Time efficiency isn't really a given as a need, even if its easy to find an anecdote that says its a want for one reason or another.

Deep committal isn't just for teenagers.

No more than hit points. In real life, someone hit by a giant's axe isn't springing around and fighting at full potential. But in the heroic fantasy genre they are. HPs give an ablative ability to ignore getting dropped by attacks to better emulate the genre -- until it's too many and you drop anyway. Flashbacks do the same thing, a limited resource that lets you work around some complications in a heist to better emulate the genre. To be honest, a lot less than HPs because you don't also have to spend HPs on other things.

Sure, but HP isn't really a good comparison because then we're talking about realism.

I'm not talking about realism. When we're talking about maintaining a harmonious ludonarrative in a mechanic, we're talking about three things:

1. The mechanic feels like its doing what it should.
  2. The mechanic is described as doing what it should.
  3. What the player perceives of the mechanic is identical to the other two.
What that means is that, if we think of a Fireball, using it should feel like you're blowing something up (ie, big number go brrr).

When we look at how the game themes that Fireball, it should match what it does; don't use Fireball when you're talking about a candlelight.

And when the player goes to interact with the mechanic at several stages, what they perceive, or in other words intuit, as what it should do, it should be synchronous with the other two. The Fireball should do, look, and be felt as doing exactly what the Fireball ought to do.

So when we come back to the flashback, it hits the mark as a mechanic on the first two, but it doesn't reliably do so. You could say otherwise, but then I can counter, as can anyone else whose never particularly liked the mechanic for similar reasons.

Thats the sticky business of game design, I'm afraid.

(And to be clear, HP is still problematic from that perspective, but it doesn't have to be. How I personally solved that issue is a whole other topic tho)

As mentioned above, they do solve the exact same issue as HPs. Spending a currency to allow your character to do things they couldn't otherwise is a very well accepted part of every RPG. It's not a defendable argument that it's not acceptable since we see for a fact in game after game that sort of thing is acceptable.

Again, bad comparison, because you're comparing a mechanic that lets you conjure things into the gameworld with one that simply governs how close to a death state you are after sustaining X damage.

Sometimes you see things that will use HP as a resource to do things, but that isn't the standard. As a resource its only purpose is how many points of damage you can absorb.

That doesn't let you do anything you couldn't have, unless we're reaching really hard and trying to equate death vs non death as equatable to conjuring things into the gameworld.

First, there is a cost in the currency of Stress for all but the most mundane, which is something you use both to fuel other cool things, help others, resist dying and imparements - it is meaningful to spend it.

In the gamey sense sure. In terms of fiction, it has no real connection to anything, and especially not in any sense of A->B->C sort of logic. We call mechanics like this metacurrencies for a reason, because even ones that try to be more diegetic don't always work to establish synchronicity.

Second, because it's a cost, it's important to the story when you choose to use it or not, so it's never superflous, it's at worst an opportunity cost.

The story of playing the game, sure. Mechanics are always tellng stories, and this isn't an exception.

That doesn't make it important to the story of the characters, however.

And if you can square the difference there in a way that isn't just dismissing it, you'll probably be the first person Ive ever had an argument with over these games that I can see eye to eye with.

Third, it's can't change anything that's hit the table. Want to have known about the pat-down to the poker game and hidden your weapons? Sure. But once your weapons are found that can't be reversed by a flashback. It's still a tool for planning, it's just one you can use in the short term. It can't do anything for things that have happened.

Sure, but it doesn't have to. The mechanic fundamentally works on the basis of conjuring things into the gameworld after the fact; thats the issue with it.

And, again not to shoehorn my game into it, but I have a really good example of how such a mechanic can work from a ludonarrative perspective, which was actually inspired by the flashback mechanic.

To keep it short, in my living world system, I have story lines that, after a certain amount of time, backfill into the canon. Eg, its been a week, the Quest's Act triggers, and now a whole bunch of events and plot are considered to now have always happened.

What makes it work ludonarratively is that this only happens like this when the players are entirely absent. They never participated in the events, not even as far as witnessing them. Under any other circumstance, those events unfold as part of play.

This was my way to square the idea of the Gameworld solving its own problems if the players don't want to get involved for whatever reason, and is what allowed the system to evolve into the living world concept, as the same idea, in tandem with other new tools I came up with (quest blocks) can be used to act as a sort of "AI" for special kinds of NPCs.

So taken together, even though the timeline and gameworld are being changed arbitrarily without player or Keeper input to do so in game time (eg realtime), it works ludonarratively because its intuitive that if the world is alive, stuff is happening all over the place and you're not going to have a say in it if you don't get involved.

(and because of this we also see why things like leading armies or building things are in the Skill list; if players want to get involved on a larger scale, they can)

Remove ads