• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Is 5th edition too big for there to be a 6th edition?

darjr

I crit!
I’m starting to think 5e is too big for 6e. I just ran a game and it had a lapsed 5e player. I then found a lot of them.

Not that the 5e player base was diminished. Every time I think I may have met most of the dnd players that play publicly around here, I run into a whole bunch of new folks.

These folks bought the PHB and played and loved it. Then life got in the way. Then WotC threw hell at them and they had to MAKE room to play. Lapsed as in they had old school style nostalgia for it. For 5e! It just seemed so weird.

OB1

Jedi Master
Will never happen. Being a real-world-interaction game is the TTRPG USP!

I wasn't saying it won't be table top with real world interaction. I was saying that digital purchase of the materials will replacing buying versions printed on dead trees.

The latest Essentials box is a perfect example of where the strategy is headed, with a physical intro to the game that encourages the use of the digital tools to expand the experience.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
More and more people are playing online because it is easier and more convenient. I have a weekly game with 5 players living in 5 different states. I also have a weekly IRL game. Both are great.

More, yes, still a fractional minority of people playing

Tony Vargas

Legend
- in particular, new players love it, because it gives them what they want and expect from D&D.
Genuinely-new players presumably want to find out "what this D&D thing is all about" but their expectations can't go much beyond "it's gonna be fantasy," and "there'll likely be a /dungeon/ with a /dragon/ in it, though that may be a little on the nose." You could sit down a group of new players and run T&T, TFT, Rolemaster, or a dozen other clunky old TTFRPGs, and they'd likely have about the same reaction. Unless there's some grizzled old RPG veteran there to snatch the scales from their eyes "OI! That's na' REALLY D&D!!! Eubenhad!"

...of course, if you tried to palm off FATE or Hero or GURPS or Exalted or even 4e* on them, they'd all go into anaphylactic shock.

Well D&D is good for another 30 years even if it spirals downwards. Short of WotC going under or D&D killed off by corporate.
We'll still have the SRD, so someone else can just pick up the torch like Paizo did.

* an actionable tort in some states, for all I know.

Imaro

Legend
Genuinely-new players presumably want to find out "what this D&D thing is all about" but their expectations can't go much beyond "it's gonna be fantasy," and "there'll likely be a /dungeon/ with a /dragon/ in it, though that may be a little on the nose." You could sit down a group of new players and run T&T, TFT, Rolemaster, or a dozen other clunky old TTFRPGs, and they'd likely have about the same reaction. Unless there's some grizzled old RPG veteran there to snatch the scales from their eyes "OI! That's na' REALLY D&D!!! Eubenhad!"

I think you're vastly underestimating the importance, accessibility and pervasiveness of social media (much less the internet general) and especially streaming if you actually think new players can't have expectations beyond "fantasy with a dungeon and a dragon"...

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think you're vastly underestimating the importance, accessibility and pervasiveness of social media (much less the internet general) and especially streaming if you actually think new players can't have expectations beyond "fantasy with a dungeon and a dragon"...
Hey, once you've /watched/ it played, you're not exactly new to it, are you? It's not an expectation, anymore, it's an experience.

But, sure, if you want to say 5e is meeting the expectations of new players who have read about 5e on line and watched streaming video of people playing 5e on line, yeah, I suspect it probably does...

Remove ads