• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iPad remote desktop control apps

Janx

Hero
I just got an iPad from my company. Apparently they like me.

For those who care, it's a 16GB iPad with just WiFi. It was a gift. I didn't check its teeth.

Being a frugal tech guy (note that I didn't already own an iPad), I'm wary of buying the 'wrong' app.

I'm looking for an app to remote control Windows computers using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

I have need to do this to PCs on the local network over wifi and to computers I have specifically hosted on the internet so I can remote in to manage things (which I would also do over my wifi).

Most of the stuff I do is software design of business web applications. So all "my" stuff is web-administratable. And most of my servers are HP and have ILO which is also web-manageable. But for everything else, there's remote desktop.

Anyway, I've found 2 candidates:
iTap RDP $12
iTap RDP Introduction

desktop connect $15
Desktop Connect Antecea

Now I reckon I could expense both purchases, but I'd really rather just buy the right app, if there's a significant difference.

Both support RDP. Desktop connect also support VNC. I have no interest in their Easy Connect that installs something on the target computer (other apps that need their own agent are also ruled out).

Has anybody used these apps?
Is there a 3rd product/I've not found?

is it reasonably smooth to use the PC's browser?
Is it reasonably smooth to right-click, double-click, CTRL+click?
Is it reasonably smooth to use an application like Word or Excel?

Janx

Hero
i just found Wyse PocketCloud which is their free RDP/VNC app.

Its limited to 800x600, unless I buy the PRO for aout $15

it seemed OK. I could close windows, change apps. manipulating Visual Studio was a bit tricky (I had it running when I tried it)

I wouldn't code with it unless I was desperate...

But the free version seemed like would be useful in lieu of a better solution.

the challenge, I think, is all these apps are >$10 which is "pricey" for a AppStore app. and they all say they are great. So I'd just as soon pick one that somebody else is happy with and stick with it.

What do you think of the Mocha RDP? I've seen that one mentioned in google

falcarrion

First Post
I have ran it on my ipad and was happy with it.
But make sure you read which systems it will work on.
For example windows 7 home preimium it doesn't work with but windows 7 professional it does. Try out the lite version first to make sure it will connect with your computer.
I tried it out on a machine with windows xp professional and it worked fine.

cocochen

First Post
I just got an iPad from my company. Apparently they like me.

For those who care, it's a 16GB iPad with just WiFi. It was a gift. I didn't check its teeth.

iPad2case
leather ipad 2 case
iPad2 case
Being a frugal tech guy (note that I didn't already own an iPad), I'm wary of buying the 'wrong' app.

I'm looking for an app to remote control Windows computers using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

I have need to do this to PCs on the local network over wifi and to computers I have specifically hosted on the internet so I can remote in to manage things (which I would also do over my wifi).

Most of the stuff I do is software design of business web applications. So all "my" stuff is web-administratable. And most of my servers are HP and have ILO which is also web-manageable. But for everything else, there's remote desktop.

Anyway, I've found 2 candidates:
iTap RDP $12
iTap RDP Introduction

desktop connect $15
Desktop Connect Antecea

Now I reckon I could expense both purchases, but I'd really rather just buy the right app, if there's a significant difference.

Both support RDP. Desktop connect also support VNC. I have no interest in their Easy Connect that installs something on the target computer (other apps that need their own agent are also ruled out).

Has anybody used these apps?
Is there a 3rd product/I've not found?

is it reasonably smooth to use the PC's browser?
Is it reasonably smooth to right-click, double-click, CTRL+click?
Is it reasonably smooth to use an application like Word or Excel?

Remove ads