• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Introducing Dragonlance's Iconic - And Upgraded! - Death Knight, Lord Soth!

WotC has posted a video introducing the iconic Dragonlance villain Lord Soth (albeit with the words "Lord Soth is Tiamat's favourite death knight"....) Upgraded from the original Dragonlance adventures and novels, Soth now rides on a death dragon! In fact he is able to resurrect dead dragons as death dragons under his command. The SSI gold box video game, Death Knights of Krynn, was an...

WotC has posted a video introducing the iconic Dragonlance villain Lord Soth (albeit with the words "Lord Soth is Tiamat's favourite death knight"....)

Upgraded from the original Dragonlance adventures and novels, Soth now rides on a death dragon! In fact he is able to resurrect dead dragons as death dragons under his command. The SSI gold box video game, Death Knights of Krynn, was an inspiration for parts of this adventure.

One of the most iconic images of Lord Soth was painted by Keith Parkinson (and you can buy a print from his website). It features Soth aboard his nightmare steed, leading his legion of skeletal warriors into battle.

th-460934386.jpg

Still, that game was a killer.
Having played them again only a few months ago, of the three Krynn Gold Box games, Death Knights of Krynn (which, for the uninitiated, is the mid-level game) was the best of the three. Champions of Krynn (the low level game) was pretty good (although it had a steep learning curve, which I can only imagine how hard it would be for someone who hadn't played a Gold Box game before), while The Dark Queen of Krynn (the high level game) was... ugh. I have... issues... with DQK.

Lord Soth.
History's most powerful incel.
His two wives and son, Strand von Zarovich, Vecna, Acererack and lots of lichs don't agree you.

I feel curiosity about the dark domain of Sithicus. I imagine it in the Krynnspace-shadowfell. Lord Soth hadn't to be its dark lord, or at least not always. Maybe in the age of the mortals a second Sithicus was created to torture the soul of lord Soth, because he is searching his family in the afterlife, at least to apologize. Or it is the dark domain by Fistandantilus.

What about the kender vampires created by lord Soth when he was in Sithicus?

If there are now death dragons, why not spider-dragons also later in the future?

* Dragonlance needs a cinematic scene, not only for the sourcebooks, but for the revival of all the franchise.

When I imagine lord Soth in my mind "Cursum Perfitio" by Enya is sounding as a soundtrack.

Andvari

Hero
Having played them again only a few months ago, of the three Krynn Gold Box games, Death Knights of Krynn (which, for the uninitiated, is the mid-level game) was the best of the three. Champions of Krynn (the low level game) was pretty good (although it had a steep learning curve, which I can only imagine how hard it would be for someone who hadn't played a Gold Box game before), while The Dark Queen of Krynn (the high level game) was... ugh. I have... issues... with DQK.
I played through them a few years back, having only played The Dark Queen of Krynn as a kid. I liked Champions a lot but found Knights kind of meh. Dark Queen is my favourite, though I can't rule out nostalgia as a factor there.

Mon

Explorer
I enjoyed all three as a teen, but Death Knights was my favourite.

Out of curiosity, where did Dark Queen go wrong in your experience?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
so, uh, do you need a director for a dragonlance movie?
-
Quentin Tarantino.

So Caramon and Raistlin go off on a road trip through Krynn, trying to find the Disks of Mishakal, when someone tries to rob them and Raistlin paralyzes them with a spell, then casts Burning Hands and slowly brings his hands closer to the thief's ear while going off about this world he's visited where they don't use steel pieces and so they have no idea how much a tankard of ale is supposed to cost, but they serve wine with potatoes. Terrified and bored simultaneously, the thief tells them where the Disks are.

Of course, the thief has no idea where the disks are, so they wind up taking a detour where they run into Laurana, Goldmoon, and Tika, who have formed an adventuring party. They get stuck in the mud in a stream and have to remove their boots to cross, and of course we see lots of close-ups of the ladies' feet as they are crossing the stream while disco music plays.

They then run into a pack of draconians and after a long, kung-fu inflected battle (there are no monks in Krynn? Who cares?) have a pile of gold, wherein the Companions immediately get into a fight over the gold and are holding swords' at each others' throats (a magic missile in the case of Raistlin) for ten minutes of screen time. Finally they agree to divvy it up and walk off into the distance to the tune of the Eagles' 'Journey of the Sorcerer'. The Disks? We forgot about those.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
I played through them a few years back, having only played The Dark Queen of Krynn as a kid. I liked Champions a lot but found Knights kind of meh. Dark Queen is my favourite, though I can't rule out nostalgia as a factor there.
I just bought the lot of them off GOG right before my system went belly up. :(
I never got a chance to play The Dark Queen of Krynn back in 93 but a friend of mine said it never loaded right or something.

Remove ads

Remove ads