D&D General If you were made president of D&D, what would you do?

Honestly this question would have been so much easier a few years ago. The answer would have been:

- Buy DnD Beyond.
and
- Bring out PHB2, covering new classes + artificer.

Reynard

Legend
D&D has been growing at an unprecedented rate for years. It's bonkers to expect that growth to continue indefinitely. Anyone saddled with being in charge of D&D is going to see it slow and cool under their watch. The bubble will burst and the fad will end. That doesn't mean it is going to die, unless execs try and kill it by wringing every laast dollar out of it in the short term (as they are wont to do).

That said, if I were put in charge and expected to keep D&D growing, I would double down on accessibility (including new starter sets) and Beyond/VTT. And I would pretty much ignore my own (50 years+) cohort, leaning into properties and settings kids actually care about rather than trying to bring back my favorite setting that wasn't actually particularly successful when it came out 30 years ago.

I'd do everything possible to sabotage the company while also getting as much existing material out into creative commons as possible before I'm stopped. The goal is to reduce this tech billionaire's vanity purchase to smoking ruins ("fiduciary duty" is a meaningless threat to me, I'm old and don't fear dying penniless in prison) while giving the fan base free reign in the future.

Last thing D&D needs is one obscenely wealthy capitalist owning it outright. Appalling prospect.

With my luck it'd turn into a Brewster's Millions scenario where I can't lose money for trying and the guy who owns D&D winds up buying a continent to rule over off the profits I've made him. :)

GrimCo

Adventurer
There is difference between continual growth and being profitable. Infinite growth is pipe dream managers chase for bonuses and big shareholders for increase in stock value. Irony is, it would probably be better if it's owned by single private owner who just wants solid company with healthy net profit year over year.

Remove ads