• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E if Willpower is for Magic-Users...

nevin

Hero
willpower isn't a stat. Intellectual ability has nothing to do with willpower. Go to a college campus and you'll see many smart people that won't hold thier ground at all. Wisdom isn't a factor in willpower or more holy people would rule religions than Ideologues. Charisma isn't willpower it's the ability to convince people that your way is best.

You'd have to create another stat or continue to just let people roll play thier characters. But I'd argue if you want to add a willpower stat then you need a perception stat and do away with the skill.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
perhaps you don't use it ( or don't rely on it ) ===> ( again ) perhaps you have it on a scale of 9-12 ( wtf willpower is not a stat !? )

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The PHB description of Wisdom says nothing about willpower, instead claiming the ability score is about Awareness, insight, and intuition. The disconnect of course, is Wisdom saving throws, which are used against effect that would influence or control your mind.

Ironically, "confidence" is one of the traits associated with Charisma, but instead of protecting you from Command or Fear, Charisma saves are made against being temporarily exiled to another dimension (?).

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
The PHB description of Wisdom says nothing about willpower, instead claiming the ability score is about Awareness, insight, and intuition. The disconnect of course, is Wisdom saving throws, which are used against effect that would influence or control your mind.

Ironically, "confidence" is one of the traits associated with Charisma, but instead of protecting you from Command or Fear, Charisma saves are made against being temporarily exiled to another dimension (?).

yes it does ( in Player's Option ) :)
( of course I don't follow the Intuition vs Willpower segmentation of Wis )

Long ago, I toyed with the idea of creating a form of mental combat in which the mental attributes were treated as physical ones: Charisma acted like Strength, Intelligence like Dexterity, and Wisdom like Constitution. You could equip various "weapons" (psionic attack modes) and "armor" - though of course you couldn't buy them with gold. It's an attractive symmetry in the ability scores that I've never seen exploited.

Remove ads