• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E I just figured out that the 5e Scourge Aasimar is the Incarnated Deva of 4e

gyor

Legend
See I was expecting WotC to either update the 4e "Deva" PC race or have an Incarnated Deva subrace for VGTM Aasimar with memory mechanic like Guidance cantrip or something, to resemble more the 4e Deva race.

But they gave the Scourge an aesthetic similar to the 4e Deva, including clothing, but it never clicked with me, I vaguely noticed the simular aesthetic, but because it seemed mechanically so different, and reincarnation was not mentioned in the fluff, I gave it no other thought.

But then it just doned on me out of the blue that while they might have down played the reincarnation angle, the reason why the Aasimar has subraces in the first place is so they can have both something similar to the original pre 4e Aasimar with the possessing a kind of Wings (which 3.5e Aasimar could get with a feat), and a 4e type Mulhorandi/Utherite/Nentir Vale "Aasimar", aka the 4e Deva. The Fallen Aasimar is an extension of this as there were Fallen Devas monsters/NPCs in 4e, this just made them playable and flexible enough to have the choice of coming from either other type of Aasimar.

Once you get passed missing fluff and a shift in mechanics, it all makes sense, we already have the Incarated Deva in the Scourge Aasimar and it's Fallen sister the Fallen Aasimar, with Protector Aasimar being the original Aasimar.

It was under my noise the whole time, but my expectations blinded me to it.

Remove ads