• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have no idea if this is a hot take or not, but...

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The art of a game does help you get a feel for it, and captures the imagination. AD&D (both editions) had better art overall than 3.x (most of which was kind of meh). 4e mostly focused on characters, but was a clear improvement over 3.x. 5e is kind of a mixed bag; while most of it is fine, there's not a lot that really pops.

Example from 4e's Divine Power:
View attachment 276287
I would submit that the settings actually have most of the "style" in general and think the 3.5 Eberron art is some of the best, most evocative art D&D has ever produced -- even if I agree that by and large the 2nd Edition era has more good art. Especially those dragon covers. Man.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I would submit that the settings actually have most of the "style" in general and think the 3.5 Eberron art is some of the best, most evocative art D&D has ever produced -- even if I agree that by and large the 2nd Edition era has more good art. Especially those dragon covers. Man.
I will definitely give you Eberron art as being spectacular. 3.x art isn't all bad, but it didn't start great, especially with Mialee. Yikes!

I will accept you hot take, and I will go HAWTER TAEK:

Elmore was the beginning of the end- the soul left TSR when Otus, Easley, Dee, and Sutherland were no longer doing the primary work.

Or, go Galaxy Brained-

The best art was in the LBBs. It's all been downhill since then.

originaldanddwraith.jpg

I'm sure there's someone out there saying that the soul went out of D&D when Wayne Reynolds stopped illustrating it.

What's the saying about how the Golden Age of anything is when you were 12?

But his landscapes were always fantastic and evoke a world that feels so much different from WotC D&D.

Looking at Elmore's work, it's clear he loves painting landscapes and skies. If you removed all the fantasy elements from his paintings, you could probably hang them in a museum and no one would notice anything amiss.

Remove ads