• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Hypothesis: Playtest 7 delayed to add elements inspired by BG3

With the huge success of BG3 maybe WotC has decide to hold patch 7 back so they can poach some of the best and most popular ideas from BG3. Thing like weapon actions, surfaces, spells that create surfaces, magic items, a Planar Ally that is practical and not a nightmare to use and longest shot Tadpole powers.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
They already tried to slip some BG3 rules into the playtest, like Bardic Inspiration being a reaction, but it didn't take despite how good of an idea it was mechanically.

Personally, I am hoping the Jumping rules make it in.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
They already tried to slip some BG3 rules into the playtest, like Bardic Inspiration being a reaction, but it didn't take despite how good of an idea it was mechanically.
I think it’s less that they tried to slip some BG3 rules into the playtest and more that they told Larian about some of the changes they were thinking of making in the 2024 rules so they could get those changes into BG3 ahead of the curve.

Remathilis

Legend

Personally, I am hoping the Jumping rules make it in.
And true to form, when presented in BG3, fans love it and want WotC to add it, but when WotC presents it in a playtest, fans stomp their feet and whine about bAcKwArDs CoMpAtIbIlItY and WotC retreats to the safety of the 2014 PHB...

Scribe

Legend
I think it’s less that they tried to slip some BG3 rules into the playtest and more that they told Larian about some of the changes they were thinking of making in the 2024 rules so they could get those changes into BG3 ahead of the curve.

I dont know about that. A lot of this was early in BG3 EA in various forms, I doubt Wizards has the foresight to do this.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
And true to form, when presented in BG3, fans love it and want WotC to add it, but when WotC presents it in a playtest, fans stomp their feet and whine about bAcKwArDs CoMpAtIbIlItY and WotC retreats to the safety of the 2014 PHB...
For all of BG3's popularity, it's a mere fraction of the people who are playing pen & paper D&D right now. A big fraction, but nothing close to a majority.
Also, it's just a single purchase at basically the price of one book, so not even as much revenue as a D&D player who buys two books a year.

Vael

Legend
Don't get me wrong, I'm tempted to make a lot of the changes BG3 did into my own houserules (already have the potion can be used as a bonus action), but a lot of the changes they made are to make it a better video game, not all of them are applicable to tabletop. Shoving only works with a lot of verticality and concrete maps than I use in tabletop.

Remove ads