• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E How would you emulate a 1E/2E Cloak of Elvenkind?

Crothian

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Is there any spell that makes you almost but not quite invisible, no matter where you are?

Not really. Blurr doesn't work cause you still know precisely where the person is (what square) you just have a slight miss chance.

One of the problems with the old version is it was not total invisibility. The mechanic was a little odd with the different percentages in different amounts of light as well as where the person was. Interesting note the original version, the one that appeared in the Basic Rules gave you a 1 in 6 chance of being seen.

So, what I'd do is just keep it like the old version. It would be a Cloak of Invisibility that was not 100% effective. I'd make it a flat 90% effective, just to keep the same chance anywhere for sake of ease.

Taluron

I recall seeing a cameleon spell somewhere - Spells and Spellcraft maybe? It might be more what you're looking for. Ia druid/ranger spell I believe.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
well since you can spot invisible people at 30'(dc20 to know there, dc40 to exactly pinpoint I believe) invisibility isn't total invisibilty anyways. So maybe jsut go with a cloak of invis, or if you get to stay hidden after your shots(firing a bow not a violent enough aciton for you a sone of my players argued back in the day) then a cloak of improved invis.

Kai Lord

Hero
Shard O'Glase said:
well since you can spot invisible people at 30'(dc20 to know there, dc40 to exactly pinpoint I believe) invisibility isn't total invisibilty anyways. So maybe jsut go with a cloak of invis, or if you get to stay hidden after your shots(firing a bow not a violent enough aciton for you as one of my players argued back in the day) then a cloak of improved invis.

Good point, I forgot that in 3E you can still be spotted when "Invisible". So I probably will just go with a Cloak of Invisibility. Since your location can be pinpointed when making a melee attack even with Improved Invisibility, I may even go with that.

MyPetSlug

First Post
My suggestion would be to make it a cloak of invisibility, but actually decrease the spot DCs to give it that not quite "true" invisibility feel. Maybe DC15 to notice something and DC30 to pinpoint the exact square.

Slug

Jeremy

Explorer
Not that I've read, but you could increase the DC by the same rate spot checks go up... That is, +1 per extra 10 ft.

So catching movement out of the corner of your eye of someone invisible moving against the treeline 100 ft away would be DC 26. Pin pointing his location to a 5 foot general area after he had frozen and was holding still would be DC 56 (plus his hide skill if he thought it was necessary to hide as well).

Wolf72

Explorer
you could try to make a greater cloak ... +30, along the lines of the ring of jumping.

make it so that it works if you are standing still (lying, sitting ... hunched up in wee ball/fetal postition hoping that you're not spotted ... etc).

the ring of chameleon power adds +15 and change self ... drop the change self, make it a cloak ... add another +15 and there ya go. (should be pretty expensive though)

warning: even if you've washed your hands thoroughly ... do not rub your eyes after cutting up a hot pepper! ... It still stings :eek:

Remove ads