• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much magic should PCs have

gariig

First Post
I remember there being a table saying how much magic in GP PCs are suppose to have, but for the life of me I can't find it in the DMG or PHB, could anyone post me to the right page? I want to give my first level PCs a few items.

Gariig

Voldrath

Explorer
Welth

I don't remember the page number but look in the index under welth. I think it was in the DMG but check both. Good Luck.

Chronosome

First Post
Page 145, Garig. Unfortunately, there's no entry for 1st-level
characters
...they roll their starting wealth accoring to class.

In my game, each character gets maximum starting wealth. :)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
I wouldn't give 1st level characters much. It would really imbalance things.

Just wait until they get some levels under their belt, believe me, it won't take long.

--Stingey Spikey

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Chronosome said:
Page 145, Garig. Unfortunately, there's no entry for 1st-level
characters
...they roll their starting wealth accoring to class.

In my game, each character gets maximum starting wealth. :)
The same table is also on page 43. :)

Artoomis

First Post
No page numbers from me (no books with me), but in the DMG there are are TWO charts, one for PCs one for NPCs. You need to be careful not to mix them up, which is easy to do with just a quick look.

G.A. Donis

First Post
I thought those tables were for total worth not just worth of magic items. I might have misunderstood, but I thought the original question was how much of a character's total gold piece worth should be in magic items? I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that question if there is one.

shilsen

Adventurer
The tables in the DMG are for total wealth, not value of magic items. In my campaign, I use the rule of thumb that magic items combine to 75% of the total wealth, and no single magic item totals more than 50% of total wealth. Works well for me.

graydoom

First Post
shilsen said:
The tables in the DMG are for total wealth, not value of magic items. In my campaign, I use the rule of thumb that magic items combine to 75% of the total wealth, and no single magic item totals more than 50% of total wealth. Works well for me.
What makes up the other 25%? From what I see, magic items tend to be almost 99% of a character's total wealth, though most of the time it doesn't get that extreme.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads