• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How many Races it too much?

How many races are too many for your world?

• 1-2 I am a minimalist.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • 3-4

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 5-6

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 7-8

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • 9-10 I think the PHB is the sweet spot.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 11-12

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • 13-14

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-16

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 17+ Bring them all in!

Votes: 40 38.5%

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Whatever floats your boat. You can have the Star Wars Cantina theme going, with hundreds of races intermingling and there really isn't a damn thing that makes one special over the other, or you can run a Dark Sun campaign where the immortal founder of magic tried to erase the mistake of "new races" by a genocidal war that forever left future generations of races changed and unique for it, with elves who live nomadically with a credo of outrunning your troubles, or dwarves who found ruins showing them as bearded crafters of metal while the current dwarves are hairless, living day to day in poverty.

So, it's not really the number. It's what you're doing thematically with your story. If Tabaxi have no greater story in your campaign than their stats and abilities, then run your Cantina game. If they're something different, make them special and reduce the # of player races so you can focus on that story.

Zardnaar

Legend
Whatever floats your boat. You can have the Star Wars Cantina theme going, with hundreds of races intermingling and there really isn't a damn thing that makes one special over the other, or you can run a Dark Sun campaign where the immortal founder of magic tried to erase the mistake of "new races" by a genocidal war that forever left future generations of races changed and unique for it, with elves who live nomadically with a credo of outrunning your troubles, or dwarves who found ruins showing them as bearded crafters of metal while the current dwarves are hairless, living day to day in poverty.

So, it's not really the number. It's what you're doing thematically with your story. If Tabaxi have no greater story in your campaign than their stats and abilities, then run your Cantina game. If they're something different, make them special and reduce the # of player races so you can focus on that story.

That's kind of the big reveal you can pull.

No you can't be an elf, no I'm not explaining why.

Then later in game they find Elven ruins, tombs, writing, artifacts etc. Perhaps angry undead.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Generally, if you can’t count the number of PC race options on two hands, that’s where it starts feeling crowded to me. So I offer about 9 or 10 options that are appropriate for a campaign, and I invite players to discuss with me if they want to play something outside of those options.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads