• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Devas can you Fit through the Gate?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Precisely one pin-head's worth. :)

Cheers, -- N

PS: 20 ft. diameter; I'd allow 4 Large flying critters per round to come through, assuming they were already lined up and ready, expecting to travel ASAP. If the Devas were part of a special Solar Gate Assault Battalion (and again, were previously notified to expect travel around this time), I'd allow 6/round. If we're talking random bypassing Devas, I'd do 1d2-1/round for the first 5 rounds, 1d4-1/round for the next five rounds, 1d6-1/round for round 11-15, and 1d8-1/round for the last five rounds.

Cheers, -- N

darthkilmor

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
Say a solar casts a gate spell, and holds it open for 20 rounds. How many devas do you think could get through in that time?

Alot. Assuming you mean the medium-sized astral deva in the SRD?

(rough guesses).
Given that deva's can fly, how many could pass through in a round? An astral deva can fly 100 ft, and if it runs then thats 400 ft per round.
Assuming you point your decantur of endless deva's at the gate, and a well-defined runway for the deva's flight path, its reasonable to say 80 deva's could pass any single point in one round(a continuous line)(400ft/5ft space = 80 deva's). So at a minimum, 80 per round if you allow one through the gate at a time.
Orient the gate horizontally and you should be able to have, assuming they take only a 5ft space diving or what have you, probably have 9 pass through the gate at a time.
So, my vote is 9 at a time times 80 per round times 20 rounds = 14,400 diva's from your gate of endless deva's. Assuming said solar can rally that many.

Animal

First Post
i've thought up a crazy solution. not sure if it is valid rule-wise.
what if all devas line up in front of the gate and then each one of them readies an action: immediately fly into the gate as soon as their right neighbour starts moving. Now the rightmost deva starts flying to the portal and is interrupted by her left neighbour who tries to fly into the gate first, but this second deva is also interrupred by the third one and so on. So in the end the leftmost deva flies in first, and all other from left to right, proceed, resolving their actions. thus they can all fly in in one round.
is it possible?

Artoomis

First Post
Animal said:
i've thought up a crazy solution. not sure if it is valid rule-wise.
what if all devas line up in front of the gate and then each one of them readies an action: immediately fly into the gate as soon as their right neighbour starts moving. Now the rightmost deva starts flying to the portal and is interrupted by her left neighbour who tries to fly into the gate first, but this second deva is also interrupred by the third one and so on. So in the end the leftmost deva flies in first, and all other from left to right, proceed, resolving their actions. thus they can all fly in in one round.
is it possible?

Perhaps, but completely unnecessary. Either they have enough movement rate to make it through the gate or they don't. It's really that simple, I think.

The key would be some sort of prior arrangement to have multiple Devas standing by waiting for the Gate to appear. I am not even sure this is possible, as I do not think you can control where the Gate appears on the other plane. I suppose you could, if desired, go to that plane, make all the arrangement, cast Gate from that plane allow the desired creatures to go through teh Gate to the Prime Material plane, but who know where they would end up - so you'd also have to figure out how to transport them to the desired location.

On the other hand, you could have, if you had enough influence somehow, ALL the Astral Devas Plane Shift to the Prime Material all at the same time - though they would be 5 to 500 miles from the desired location in , at best, groups of eight.

Still, at a fly speed of 100, they move at 20 miles per hour overland movement normally, 40 mph hustling.

So, with a little planning, you could have virtually every Astral Deva on-site if you wanted, but it would take some time. It cannot really be done tactically, I think. How many come through per round when a Gate is cast is truly up to the DM, I see no real guidance on that in the Gate spell description, but it certainly is not a physical space limitation.

Drowbane

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
Say a solar casts a gate spell, and holds it open for 20 rounds. How many devas do you think could get through in that time?

I've often wondered just how big a deal a "cascade" really was. Thats alot of feathered wings...

domino

First Post
Seems to me, you can fit a few more than as many devas would fill a (let's give us a margin of error of 5 ft either way) 19 square radius hemisphere. Those are all of the ones that have enough movement to be waiting when it goes off, and make it through in one move action. Rounds and initiative and so on are a silly thing, so all that really matters is if one has the speed to get through. Then, you have 19 more rounds worth of Devas lined up behind them, so that when round 1 moves in, round 2 moves up to their old position, and so on.

If you're allowing them to occupy the same square, you can double that, and if you're going to do a double move, or more, then even more. According to my calculations, which may be off, that'd allow for about 14,000 devas a round.

Or, if you're willing to allow them to do a full run through the gate, AND have 2/space, as they're friendly with each other, that's about 1.8 million devas.

A round.

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
Actually, the answer is much simpler: enough creatures so that their total HD <= the solar's caster level. Since divas have 12 HD and a solar is a 20th level caster, that would be one.

It's actually pretty clear in the spell's description.

domino

First Post
Except that the question isn't "how many Devas can he call?" It's "How many can fit through?" We're assuming that they're going through under their own will, he's just opening the door for them. Thus, it's using the Planar Travel function, which has no HD cap.

Remove ads