• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long should a gaming session be?

How long is your ideal session? (you can select more than one option)

• 1 hour

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 2 hours

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • 3 hours

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • 4 hours

Votes: 56 59.6%
  • 5 hours

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • 6 hours

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • More than 6 hours

Votes: 10 10.6%

Li Shenron

Legend
2 or 3 hours is enough. I've never set a hard limit though, if people want to keep playing, we'll keep playing until we're just too tired.

Celebrim

Legend
I prefer 6-8 hours plus a meal as a break to recharge and give space to general socializing and catching up on friendships, but I haven't done that since college really. As an adult, 4 hours is the biggest block of time it seems people can regularly commit to.

Anything less than 4 hours of actual gaming produces a pace that is just way too slow for me. Indeed, four hours produces a pace that is way too slow for me, but it can't be helped.

As far as how regular, once a week would be ideal but again I haven't done that since college. Given my adult responsibilities the best I can usually manage is every other week. I no longer have the focus to do enough game prep every week to get games to run as well as I like.

Remove ads