D&D (2024) How excited are you for the new 2024 edition d&d?

What is your excitement level? (1-5 with 5 being the highest)

Votes: 70 35.0%

Votes: 34 17.0%

Votes: 27 13.5%

Votes: 46 23.0%
  • 5 Most excited

Votes: 23 11.5%

• Poll closed .

well, at a minimum the second fear seems unfounded as they will release it on some VTTs as well

which was the first fear ;) still not seeing that either for the foreseeable future. At a minimum the core books will get print versions
They made it very clear the default, desired way to play will be through D&D Beyond, where the VTT will be. Literally every commercial they made shows people putting the books away to use electronic devices. This is literally a barier of entry for anyone who may not use D&D Beyond for whatever reason, like me. If other means of playing will be treated as an afterthought, it will be very clear this game is not for me.

mamba

Legend
They made it very clear the default, desired way to play will be through D&D Beyond, where the VTT will be.
it being the preferred way and it being the only way are not the same thing… they also made it very clear that it won’t be the only way and they continue printing books and supporting other VTTs

This is literally a barier of entry for anyone who may not use D&D Beyond for whatever reason, like me.
them having commercials about using DDB is not the same as a barrier to entry. You have the same ‘barrier’ today already and had it for the last few years.

If that did not make you drop out, then the 2024 core books also are no reason to

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
They made it very clear the default.
They just mean that they want to sell you stuff that way, it's where their best profits lie. They don't mean that they won't sell it to you in other ways. They're giving us FLGSes the print-books early like they used to, so if anything, they've got a renewed commitment (if only to mollify us) to the FLGS. Which generally means wooden tables & chairs, paper, pencils, and actual real dice.*

* Most of the time.

it being the preferred way and it being the only way are not the same thing… they also made it very clear that it won’t be the only way and they continue printing books and supporting other VTTs

them having commercials about using DDB is not the same as a barrier to entry. You have the same ‘barrier’ today already and had it for the last few years.

If that did not make you drop out, then the 2024 core books also are no reason to
I'm using entierly the srd and books I bought, I tried D&D Beyond and it's not for me. Even using free adventure they released for anyone was frustrating. And I simply do not believe what they promise, I see where is their marketing focusing and won't be surprised if they will backtrack on the promises the moment they think no one is looking.

TiQuinn

In what way? I just don't see it at all, but I'd love to know why you both seem to.

Well, for me it’s a very personal opinion - I don’t know why there’s a new edition coming, and I don’t feel a great urgency to buy it other than it’s being made, and since I’m a D&D fan I probably will buy it but am very unlikely to use it immediately. I don’t see a great need for a new edition in the same way that I didn’t feel a need for 3.5 after 3.0.

mamba

Legend
I simply do not believe what they promise, I see where is their marketing focusing and won't be surprised if they will backtrack on the promises the moment they think no one is looking.
if you buy the book in 2024 / 25, them deciding sales no longer justify printed books in 2030 does not really affect you, does it?

You can do whatever you want, but for the foreseeable future they keep selling books and supporting other VTTs, they just added Foundry a month or so ago.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well, for me it’s a very personal opinion - I don’t know why there’s a new edition coming, and I don’t feel a great urgency to buy it other than it’s being made, and since I’m a D&D fan I probably will buy it but am very unlikely to use it immediately. I don’t see a great need for a new edition in the same way that I didn’t feel a need for 3.5 after 3.0.
Ah yes, the "Too Soon. Don't Need It" way of 3.5. I understand why you might feel that way, even if 10 years is at lot longer than the 2ish years that were between 3 & 3.5 (I know in my case, these years have passed faster than those did, but I might just be getting old!)

TiQuinn

Ah yes, the "Too Soon. Don't Need It" way of 3.5. I understand why you might feel that way, even if 10 years is at lot longer than the 2ish years that were between 3 & 3.5 (I know in my case, these years have passed faster than those did, but I might just be getting old!)
Yeah, I think it’s a testament to 5e that even after 10 years, I don’t feel that huge of a need for something new from D&D. There’s always something to change or fix but nothing that couldn’t be done with another Xanathar/Tasha book, IMO.

Remove ads