• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Houserules to make 5e like 1e or 2e (things I've used for the past year) -thoughts?

HOUSERULES

MAGIC ITEMS
adamantine weapon (any, made of metal), uncommon
This weapon is forged with adamantine, one of the hardest substances in existence, and is virtually unbreakable. Any weapon made of adamantine counts as one category higher in rarity than a normal weapon of its type.
holy avenger, mantle of spell resistance, robe of the archmagi, scarab of protection, spellguard shield, and a staff of the magi provides the modified magic resistance trait against spells.
ring of spell turning add “You can use a reaction to reflect one spell of 7th level or lower without rolling a 20 on the saving throw. Once used, this property of the ring can't be used again until the next dawn.
sphere of annihilation change to “A creature whose space the sphere enters must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or be touched by it, taking 24d10 force damage, and one limb or extremity is annihilated, and the creature must roll on the System Shock table. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, or the target is reduced to 0 hit points, the target dies and is instantly sucked into the void, gone, and utterly destroyed. Only the direct intervention of a deity can restore an annihilated creature.”
sword of sharpness change to “When you attack a creature with this weapon and roll a 20, you lop off one of the target’s limbs, and the creature must roll on the System Shock table… A creature is immune to this effect if it is immune to slashing damage, has legendary actions, or the GM decides that the creature is too big for its limbs to be cut off with this weapon. Such a creature instead takes an extra 4d6 slashing damage from the hit.”

SPELLS
Arcane Age: Magic-users can cast more powerful spells using this option. Spells with a “At Higher Levels” effect can benefit from the higher level effects at the option of the magic-user (up to the maximum slot level the spellcaster can cast) while expending the normal slot level to cast the spell. The spell is not considered a higher level spell when using this option. Psionic spellcasters scale to their psi limit when using this option.
Abi-Dalzim’s horrid wilting add “If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature gains one level of exhaustion.”
alter self, animate dead, create undead, polymorph or shapechange add “At the DM’s discretion, additional forms beyond those normally available can be researched by seeing and studying a creature.”
circle of death (60 hp or less), disintegrate, finger of death, or any magical attack with the word ‘death’ or ‘disintegration’: add “If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, or the creature is reduced to 0 hit points, the target dies.”
cloudkill (40 hp or less), prismatic (green) effect, or any magical attack that can cause poison damage “If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature must roll on the System Shock table.”
color spray add “A creature with 20 hit points or fewer: blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and a creature with 10 hit points or fewer: unconscious for 2d4 rounds.”
contingency, add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 9th level, you can choose a spell of 6th level or lower that can have a casting time up to 1 minute.”
death ward add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, you have resistance to necrotic damage, and your hit point maximum can't be reduced.”
divine word, add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 9th level, the targets suffer an effect based on half their current hit points.”
elemental weapon, or magic weapon add “...and treats the weapon as a uncommon magic item (+1), a rare magic item (+2), or a very rare magic item (+3). If cast on a magic weapon, only the greatest bonus applies.”
enlarge/reduce change “Enlarge. The target's size increases by one half in all dimensions, and its weight is multiplied by three and a third.”
flesh to stone, prismatic (indigo) effect, or any magical attack that can cause the petrified condition; add “If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature is instantly petrified.”
geas, add “The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed. Failure to do so will cause the creature to grow sick and die within 1d4 weeks. Deviation from or twisting of the instructions causes corresponding loss of Strength points until the deviation ceases…A remove curse, greater restoration, or wish spell also ends it, if cast in the same slot level as the geas.”
harm, phantasmal killer, or weird add “If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature must roll on the System Shock table.”
haste, add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd.”
illusory script add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a 3rd level slot, the illusory script acts as a glyph of warding (spell glyph) holding a suggestion spell. When you cast this spell using a 4th level slot, it holds a confusion spell targeting unauthorized creatures glancing at the script.”
Mordenkainen’s sword add “You can also take the attack action with the sword.”
phantasmal force, add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6, and you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 2nd.
phantom steed, add “At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using
a spell slot of 4th level, it can ignore difficult terrain and has a duration of 8 hours, using a 5th level slot it can water walk, using a 6th level slot it can air walk, and using a 7th level slot it gains a flying speed.
simulacrum change to “It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, ability score increases, feats, proficiency bonus, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD).
stoneskin change to “...has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing attacks. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, it also functions as a death ward spell triggering only against slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning attacks.”

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Called Shots. A called shot is an attack aimed at a particular part of the body, in the hope of gaining some extra effect from the attack. The attack has disadvantage (and possibly a penalty based on size or cover) but if successful, the target must make a Constitution save (DC equals 10 or half the damage dealt, whichever number is higher), or it has an effect from the Lingering Injuries table appropriate to the called shot (see Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 272).
A called shot cannot be attempted if the attacker cannot see or adequately target the called shot location due to cover, darkness, blindness, invisibility, etc.

Draining Kiss (succubus/incubus), Energy Drain (demilich), Enervation Ray (beholder), Life Drain (specter, wight, wraith), Vampire Bite, or any attack which reduces maximum hit points “…for each 10 points of maximum hit point reduction a creature has, its treated as one level less for its proficiency bonus. The creature is also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting), and class features for each level lost. Spellcasters lose prepared spells or slots as a result of level loss.”

Poison.
add “If the poison deals damage, and the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the creature must roll on the System Shock table.”

VULNERABILITIES, RESISTANCES, AND IMMUNITIES
Damage Immunities or Damage Resistances. Bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks “…and resistance to magic weapons of rarity less than their challenge rating tier or level.”
• First tier, uncommon (CR 1–4); +1 weapons
• Second tier, rare (CR 5–10); +2 weapons
• Third tier, very rare (CR 11–16); +3 weapons
• Fourth tier, legendary (CR17–20); hammer of thunderbolts, holy avenger, vorpal sword, etc.
• Epic tier, artifacts (CR 21+); Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, Sword of Kas, Wand of Orcus, etc.
Incorporeal Movement. The creature can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. The creature has immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks.
Magic Resistance. The creature has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. “Furthermore, you have resistance against the damage of spells or they have half their normal effects against you.”

DUNGEON MASTER’S GUIDE

ADVENTURING OPTIONS

FEAR AND HORROR
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 266.

COMBAT OPTIONS

CLIMB ONTO A BIGGER CREATURE
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 271.

DISARM
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 271.

MARK
When fighting with Dexterity or a Finesse weapon, you can use this option, per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 271.

FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES
Gnome Artificers and some Renaissance-era craftsmen, per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 267-268.

OVERRUN
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 272.

SHOVE ASIDE

TUMBLE

HITTING COVER

CLEAVING THROUGH CREATURES
Barbarians, fighters, and some larger sized creatures can use this option, per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 272.

INJURIES
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 272; critical hits are excluded for this option, except for fighters.

MASSIVE DAMAGE
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 273; melee and ranged attack damage is excluded for this option, except for raging barbarians.

IMPROVISING AN ACTION
Per the Player’s Handbook, page 193; for actions like charge, coup de grace, delay, demoralize, feint, or sunder/smash an object; and other action maneuvers like accurate attack, all-out attack, aim, defensive attack, and power attack which can modify attack rolls, damage rolls, or Armor Class and Dexterity saving throws by +1 or +2.

MODIFYING A CLASS

VARIANT: SPELL POINTS
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 288; Wizard (arcanist) and Mystic (psionicist) use this variant.

RESOLUTION AND CONSEQUENCES

SUCCESS AT A COST
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 242.

DEGREES OF FAILURE

CRITICAL SUCCESS OR FAILURE

MODIFYING A MONSTER

ADDING A SPECIAL TRAIT
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 274. Deep Gnomes (svirfneblin) and Drow have the Magic Resistance trait. All orcs have the Relentless Endurance and Savage Attacks trait.

VARIANT: DRAGONS AS INNATE SPELLCASTERS
Per the Monster Manual, page 86.

VARIANT: EXTRAPLANAR INNATE SPELLCASTERS
Some extraplanar creatures have the innate spellcasting trait. Extraplanar creatures are innately magical creatures that can master a few spells as they age, using this variant.
It can innately cast spells requiring no material components. The extraplanar creature’s bonus to hit with spell attacks is equal to its proficiency bonus + its Charisma bonus. The extraplanar creature’s spell save DC equals 8 + its proficiency bonus + its Charisma modifier.

GOLEMS
Immunity to Magic. A golem is immune to spells or magical abilities that directly affect it. Certain spells and effects function differently against it, as noted below. This trait replaces the golems magic resistance trait.
• Any magical attack that heals the golem breaks any slow effect on the golem. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points.
Flesh Golem
• A magical attack that deals cold or fire damage slows a flesh golem (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds (no save).
Clay Golem
• A move earth spell drives the golem back 120 feet and deals 3d12 points of damage to it (no save).
• A disintegrate spell slows the golem (as the slow spell) for 1d6 rounds and deals 1d12 points of damage (no save).
• An earthquake spell cast directly at a clay golem stops it from moving on its next turn and deals 5d10 points of damage (no save).
Stone Golem
• A transmute rock to mud spell slows a stone golem (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds (no save), while transmute mud to rock heals all of its lost hit points.
• A stone to flesh spell does not actually change the golem's structure but negates its damage resistance and immunity to magic for 1 full round.
Iron Golem
• A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds (no save).
• An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as those of a rust monster.

TARRASQUE
Regeneration. The tarrasque regains 40 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point. If the tarrasque dies, it rises from death 3 rounds later with 1 hit point if no further damage is inflicted upon its remains. Slaying of the tarrasque is said to be possible only if the monster fails three death saves, and a wish is then used. Otherwise, even the slightest piece of the tarrasque can regenerate and restore the monster completely.
Bite. Add “…and acts as a sword of sharpness, severing a limb on a natural attack roll of 20.”

REST VARIANTS

EPIC HEROISM
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 267 only for the recovery from exhaustion. A short rest, lesser restoration, or revivify removes one level of exhaustion. While a long rest or greater restoration remove all levels of exhaustion using this variant.

SLOW NATURAL HEALING
Per the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 267.

Sacrosanct

Legend
One of my biggest things to make it feel more old school is to adjust the saving throws (no more keep rolling until you pass as is RAW in 5e), and make poison more deadly. You seem to have addressed those. XP for all the work you put in at the very least.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The slower natural healing is something I see a lot in threads like this one. As a 2e veteran myself, I can understand the desire for slower healing from a nostalgia factor, but I'm curious as to how your players feel about it. Were they chomping at the bit for their characters to spend large swaths of time in the hospital?

Zardnaar

Legend
The 5E healing rules make the game way to easy and can be broken/OP as well (healer feat+thief, life cleric/land Druid MC, life cleric/lore bard MC, life cleric in general).

I just take a break from 5E on occasion and play AD&D/ACKs/Castles and Crusades. Currently on a break, probably pick up 5E again once Xanathers lands after Christmas for me. Probably in February once Christmas+New Years+ summer holidays are gone.

Fanaelialae

Legend
The only one that seems problematic to me is Arcane Age, which if I read correctly allows spells to automatically scale to the highest level that the caster can use.

This makes casters significantly more powerful than 5e assumes. 1e/2e were designed with the idea of auto scaling spells in mind; 5e was not (except for the warlock whose spell slots auto scale up to 5th level). This will make casters more powerful than the baseline assumption by a significant margin as they level.

There were numerous checks and balances designed into 1e/2e for casters. Automatic spell disruption if hit before a spell finished casting. Having to memorize a specific spell in a specific slot. Divine magic capped at 7th level spells. The saving throw system was designed such that high level characters and monsters were likely to make their saving throws. 5e has none of these baked in, and I didn't see them in your house rules.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Rather than slow natural healing, might I suggest the following:

With this variant, characters no longer regain their full hit points after a long rest. Instead, during a long rest a character can spend hit dice to regain hit points, rolling each die and adding their Constitution modifier as normal for spending hit dice. This is the only way to regain hit points outside of the use of magic, class features, or feats.

At the end of a long rest, a character regains half their total hit dice, replenishing their available hit dice pool. Spending hit dice during a short rest works normally and is unchanged.

One of my biggest things to make it feel more old school is to adjust the saving throws (no more keep rolling until you pass as is RAW in 5e), and make poison more deadly. You seem to have addressed those. XP for all the work you put in at the very least.

The 'problem' (if you want to call it that), with the 5e poison rules was zero real chance of death by poison. In older editions, poison could be quite deadly, now with that said, 5e is more forgiving. So, using the variant for "Degrees of Failure" in the DMG, I used the System Shock chart, which could result in being reduced to zero hp (on a roll of 1 thru 3; so 30% chance of dropping if you fail the poison save by 5 or more).

This makes the classic encounters against things like phase spiders, or wyverns more deadly (the way it used to be in 1e and 2e), and added the 'flavor' of those older editions (for poison), while still being 'softer' in 5e than in previous editions (i.e. one failed save meant death; now in 5e even with this variant, failing a save by 5 or more is only a 30% chance of death).

Thoughts?

YIDM

Last edited:

The slower natural healing is something I see a lot in threads like this one. As a 2e veteran myself, I can understand the desire for slower healing from a nostalgia factor, but I'm curious as to how your players feel about it. Were they chomping at the bit for their characters to spend large swaths of time in the hospital?

Again, like the older editions, no one recovered from near death in a day's rest, so using the Slow Healing DMG variant, helped to simulate that. Also with a cleric with the healer feat in the party, made regaining hit points has proved to be an easy task. It also put more emphasis of having a cleric in the party, as I found in other games (like Pathfinder and a multiple wands of cure light wounds) to make out of combat healing trivial. This puts a little more sting in getting injured and worn down over time (without a cleric in the party) and helps put fighters and barbarians, or other melee types in check (as I found optimized melee types to be very very powerful in my groups I've run, overshadowing spellcasters or other types).

Again this was designed and used to make it 'feel' a bit more like the older editions (1e and 2e), and more realistic for being badly injured - - it takes longer than a day (naturally) to be back to full fighting health.

Thoughts?

YIDM

The only one that seems problematic to me is Arcane Age, which if I read correctly allows spells to automatically scale to the highest level that the caster can use.

This makes casters significantly more powerful than 5e assumes. 1e/2e were designed with the idea of auto scaling spells in mind; 5e was not (except for the warlock whose spell slots auto scale up to 5th level). This will make casters more powerful than the baseline assumption by a significant margin as they level.

There were numerous checks and balances designed into 1e/2e for casters. Automatic spell disruption if hit before a spell finished casting. Having to memorize a specific spell in a specific slot. Divine magic capped at 7th level spells. The saving throw system was designed such that high level characters and monsters were likely to make their saving throws. 5e has none of these baked in, and I didn't see them in your house rules.

This 'Arcane Age' was probably the most controversial houserule I made. There were several reasons for its inception:
1) I dislike the non-scaling aspect of spells (like magic missile) that now, do less than half at 17th level than a cantrip like fire bolt or eldritch blast. This made no sense to me, that your spending a resource (like a 1st level slot), and doing less damage than you do with an at will cantrip ability. (and didn't align with older editions)
2) Spells used to scale in older editions (1e, 2e, 3e, etc.) and didn't unbalance play, and after a year of playtesting, it just allowed spellcasters I ran to catch up to optimized melee types. It also gave greater healing to the cleric types after the Slow Healing DMG variant was used.
3) It was used to offset the change in the Magic Resistance trait (common at higher level play). Magic Resistance now worked like the archmage NPC ability or the abjurer spell resistance trait - giving resistance against spell damage (or half effect).

**As a side note the change to Magic Resistance change was used because as written in 5e (only giving advantage to saves) it has zero effect to spells without saves. So as written in 5e, MR didn't help against magic missiles, power word kill, etc. This didn't match the way MR was in older editions (1e, 2e, 3e, etc.); so was instituted (in my games) to make it more like it was in the older editions - - but since that has a MAJOR effect (reducing damage output) on spellcasters with limited spell slots, the "Arcane Age" houserule offset that.

That "Arcane Age" rule effectively/roughly doubled the damage output off spellcasters, while MR cut the damage in half (evening out); meanwhile bringing spellcasters more in line with optimized melee types for damage output (or has shown itself to be in games I've run).
**Using the Cleaving through Creatures DMG variant also allow fighters and barbarians to clean up multiple mooks effectively (usually the province of spellcaster AoE's; not to mention using Lingering Injuries DMG variant or Massive Damage DMG variant with big barbarian crits). The Cleaving through Creatures ability used to be called "Sweeping" in 1e and 2e (again simulating the older editions of the game -- the primary driver for these rules and seeing if 5e could simulate them). So again, getting back to the topic at hand, using the "Arcane Age" houserule helped to bring spellcasters back up (in comparison to their melee counterparts).

Most importantly, it was done to make 5e "feel" and play more like older editions (1e, 2, 3e, etc.).

Thoughts?

YIDM

Last edited:

Remove ads