• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie. From ICv2: Playmats...

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

Jer

Legend
Supporter
You're supposed to be so excited that you run out and buy another PHB or six.

Why are you still sitting there? Get to your FLGS before it's too late!
Need to pick up your D&D branded Yahtzee and D&D branded Monopoly while you're at it:

(Not direct movie tie-ins. Yet.)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Wishing D&D was more chainmail and battle axes vs. leather jackets and lutes. Whatever.
Well, Pine is playing a bard.

Regê is playing a Paladin and has full plate it looks like. Michelle is the axe-wielding Barbarian.

I guess what I'm discovering in this thread is that some people haven't seen a single trailer yet, because the relationship between the upcoming movie and the past ones is nothing. They're as different as Xena and House of the Dragon

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!

Regê is playing a Paladin and has full plate it looks like. Michelle is the axe-wielding Barbarian.

I guess what I'm discovering in this thread is that some people haven't seen a single trailer yet, because the relationship between the upcoming movie and the past ones is nothing. They're as different as Xena and House of the Dragon
I have and it’s completely underwhelming and lacking in the flavor I enjoy.

It is fine: see my disclaimer about not being the target audience. What I have seen is not exciting. Some folks like bards and whatever this is shaping up to be.

Oofta

Legend

Except that Xena could be campy fun, I agree.

It's fine to take a wait-and-see approach but you might as well say that the new movie is suspect because you once stubbed your toe in the dark. The old D&D movies have absolutely nothing to do with what will be released.

It boggles my mind to think that there may be no tie-in product with actual RPG content based on the film—no adventure, no starter set, nothing.

I figured most likely WotC would produce a combo sourcebook/adventure with movie tie-in stuff like descriptions of the various locations, stat blocks, backgrounds, and new player options based on the film’s characters (wild shape into monstrosities with this new druid-only feat! etc.), plus some short adventures using those characters as NPCs to interact with.

This would also have the virtue of serving as a little mini-setting—an alternative to SCAG, which they must know is not the ideal book to hand a moviegoer who says “I want to find out more about the fantasy world this movie takes place in.” It just seems like a no-brainer.

Then I figured Keys from the Golden Vault would be some sort of tie-in, even if not precisely the kind I had envisioned. But now that it has been announced we know that it apparently has only a genre-based overlap (movie and book are both heisty).

I can only guess that WotC must have considered the matter and decided that tie-in products don’t have legs in the long term, so—especially if the film isn’t well received—such a book wouldn’t turn into an “evergreen” seller, which is their goal for every book they produce.

delericho

Legend
Also -- where's the actual game product tie in? If it wasn't announced here I think we can assume it doesn't exist
There doesn't seem to be one. I'm surprised by that - I would have thought that at the very least they should have done a version of the Stormwreck Isle Starter Set with the artwork replaced with movie artwork. (Better still would be another Starter Set with pre-gen Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Paladin, and Sorcerer characters, allowing you to "now continue the adventure!" And yes, I know the level range wouldn't quite work, but capturing some of the feel should be doable.)

I would also have expected a branded set of dice, and probably some minis from WizKids. Though those may yet be coming.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It boggles my mind to think that there may be no tie-in product with actual RPG content based on the film—no adventure, no starter set, nothing.
I have a strong suspicion that this is tied up in the licensing agreements between Paramount and Hasbro and how much of a cut Paramount gets on explicit movie tie-in products.

Having to share a percentage on Starter Sets branded with the actors' faces might be less attractive than just assuming that folks in Target's game aisle will see the name "Dungeons and Dragons" and associate it with the movie without needing the explicit movie branding on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads