• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heart of Artifice Temporary 2--Aethelus Alone

Erekose13

Explorer
"Understood. If there is nothing else then I'll retire to my quarters until we are prepared to leave. Thank you again for the Thelanium, it came in handy." he says nodding to the construct dog near his legs.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I am glad that you were able to put it to good use," Jade nods slightly, "I will leave you to your own devices for now, then. I may call on you this evening."

Erekose13

Explorer
Aethelus decides to leave well enough alone for now. While he'd prefer to speak to the Baron alone, he'll not do it against his host's word. The thelanium she had provided him with was a substance unlike any that he had seen in Sharn. It was so impossibly useful that he doubted even Lana and the dog. Retiring to his room, he brough the dog up to research it as he had Lana to see if he could find out more about how the thelanium worked. Frustrated in his research though he'll remain there for now.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: So they got into a really long fight that involved running around, looting, Thelanium, and mad science. It must have taken at least 50 rounds to resolve. Now they're finally at the end of that scene, hopefully)

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Aethelus continues his research, but indeed, he still cannot explain the Thelanium in a cool-headed logical fashion as he would like. Jade invites him for dinner, but she still lacks progress as well. However, the next day, a small barge with guards arrives with news. Jade calls Aethelus down so he can hear it too. There are a group of guards here, in the typical wolfshead helmets, with two in the front who seem to be of rank. They all seem ashamed and deeply upset:*

"My Lady Leywytch Jadishtai," a battered and injured guard begins, "I beg your forgiveness. My men and I encountered a Rogue Spark that we believe to be the Terrorist. He had created a horrifying and deadly Clank, and my men and I fought bravely and signalled for support, but in the end, after felling the Terrorist, his Clank went on a killing rampage."

"At that point," the other ranked guard continues, "My men and I reached the scene. The Clank charged at us and tried to blast us all, but we subdued it from afar. However, the Terrorist had only feigned being unconscious, and he had been controlling his Clank to go on that rampage to create a distraction. We combed the island, but there was no trace of the Terrorist."

"There is no shame in losing such a dastardly and brilliant villain," Jade replies in a soothing tone, a kind, calm smile on her face, "It was fantastic that you were able to do so well--if you show us the Clank, maybe Aethelus and I could analyse it and discover a whole lot more about the Terrorist."

*Both guards turn their heads slightly in embarrassment, their eyes downcast.*

"My Lady Leywytch, I...We lost the Clank."

*Jade plants a delicate palm on her face.*

"You...oh in the Holy One's name, how do you lose a deactivated Clank?"

"I...It was Sky Pirates!"

"We tried to give pursuit, but they had hidden in a dense cloudbank, and the ship was much more agile and manoeuvrable than our barge, plus it could reach a greater speed."

"Sky Pirates," Jade sighs, "Scourges from the untamed Wilds. It is already enough that they steal the very bread crusts from the mouths of those who are poor of means but righteous of heart, slaughter innocent children, and rape defenseless women, now they have allied with the Terrorist?"

"Yes, My Lady Leywytch."

"So be it. Did you recognise the ship?"

"It was too cloudy to tell precisely. My failure is unforgivable, My Lady Leywytch. I accept full responsibility for everything--please do not blame my men or my comrade's. Rather, allow me to bear the full burden to assuage the dishonour I have brought myself and my family."

"That is a noble sentiment, Lieutenant," Jade nodes, "Very well, but only because you wish it. You tried your best, and that pleases me and shows your dedication to the Holy One well. You will report to the mess hall and spend two weeks peeling parthas for this, and then your debt will be forgotten."

*The lieutenant's eyes widen as if this is much less than he might have expected for failing in so high profile a case.*

"My Lady Leywytch is truly kind. I will do so at once, my Lady."

"I love each and every one of the Holy One's children," Jade replies with a magnanimous gesture, "What is important is only that you learn from this and strive to do better in the future."

"O...Of course. I will most certainly do so, My Lady Leywytch."

"Very well. You are all dismissed then," she turns to Aethelus, "Aethelus, how do you feel about hunting some bloodthirsty pirates?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Excellent. I knew I could count on you, Aethelus. If we're looking for pirates, we'll have to head for Wraith Cove. A more wretched hive of scum and villainy there is not. Obviously we can't take the floating palace."

*One of the guards turns from heading out of the room.*

"My Lady--that sounds dangerous. Allow me to go, to make up for my failure."

*Jade shakes her head.*

"It wasn't your fault, but this Terrorist proved to be quite crafty, and who is to say that he wouldn't overpower you again? No, I think I will have to take matters into my own hands here, or else I'm not doing my duty to all the people I have sworn to love and protect. I know it is dangerous, but I will be in disguise, and Aethelus will be with me. I am sure that I will be quite safe."

"What say you, Aethelus?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads