• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Having multiple dungeons available to the players

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I'm always thinking of future games I hope to run someday and my current dream of the future is playing some Basic (or OSR version) and doing a classic dungeon dive.

Then I recalled I read a write up an old grognard did from back in the OD&D days and their group had 2-3 dungeons to pick and choose from. So they may go hit level 1 of Dungeon A. Head home. Go to Dungeon B the next day. Then back to A. Go checkout C. Etc.

I was thinking like Heroes are in Hubtown out on The Borderlands and can go hit Stonehell and Barrowmaze and maybe one other. Can always toss in like the Caves of Chaos or Palace of the Silver Princess as more land and locations are discovered.

I kind of like this idea but maybe not? Any thoughts or experiences? It would maybe make certien areas/levels redundant due to them gaining xp from other sources.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
It's dead simple to do. Just drop the dungeons you want on the map and go. Follow the PCs wherever.

With the resource attrition of older editions, having higher-level PCs go into lower-level dungeons is still a hurdle. Not as bad as same or near-level dungeons, obviously, but lower-level monsters still pose a threat and drain resources. Read up on Tucker's Kobolds. You could always have some nasties pull that on the party.

And you could always level-up the dungeons so they're not so far beneath the PCs. That will take some work, but it's possible. Either change out the monsters entirely for level-appropriate stuff or buff the existing monsters' stats to something level appropriate.

Meech17

Adventurer
I think it would be wise to attach factions and clocks to these dungeons. PCs go and beat up a bunch of Kobolds that have formed a Dragon Cult in Dungeon A in session 1. Then they turn around and go fight the Goblin Pirates in Dungeon B in session 2, this should give the Kobolds in the lower levels of Dungeon A a chance to reinforce and prepare, so when the PCs come back stronger they'll be prepared, and tougher than they would have been if the PCs had gone back there instead during session 2.

aco175

Legend
It is just more up front work for the DM. If the players know of 5 locations to go to, you need to prep 5 places, or at least have something to delay the group until next week where you have finished the dungeon they all decided to go to.

Matt Colville has a old video about sandbox play where he takes three old adventures that are lower level to hook the PCs. The group goes to one of them and completes it or gets partway through before coming back to town. There they discover that the other two adventures are getting stronger and working on their plans to take over the world or open a pit to hell or whatever. This may force the party to go to another place and stop the bigger danger before going back to the first. The bad guys never sleep, or the clock is always ticking, I think he says.

If you have five generic dungeons within 100 miles of a town that the players can pick and choose from does not really add much to the game. And it adds a lot of travel time....to dungeon A..back to town...to dungeon B.

And it makes for endless confusion. The players will have characters in dungeon C and encounter some skeletons and say "hey we go grab the barrels of holy water in the ruins of the shrine". And you have to tell the players that shrine is back in dungeon A 130 miles away.

And it can be weird, depending on how you do levels and experience. The players could just rotate through the first level of all five dungeons, for example. But when they level up, that level will get easy.

And.....you always have the people problem. The players pick dungeon A, and for three weeks adventure there. Then....for absolutely no reason other then they want too, they randomly say "Oh we go to dungeon B". Though it can be even worse when they encounter one stuck door and are like "whatever, we leave and go to dungeon C".

Meech17

Adventurer
It is just more up front work for the DM. If the players know of 5 locations to go to, you need to prep 5 places, or at least have something to delay the group until next week where you have finished the dungeon they all decided to go to.
This isn't so bad. You just have to move the decision making portion to the end of the session instead of the beginning. At the end of the session just simply ask

"Where are you guys going next time?" and then you can prep that one between the sessions.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
This isn't so bad. You just have to move the decision making portion to the end of the session instead of the beginning. At the end of the session just simply ask

"Where are you guys going next time?" and then you can prep that one between the sessions.
And that is really great advice.

Gus L

Explorer
I was thinking like Heroes are in Hubtown out on The Borderlands and can go hit Stonehell and Barrowmaze and maybe one other. Can always toss in like the Caves of Chaos or Palace of the Silver Princess as more land and locations are discovered.
I think this is the basic concept behind the snadbox, but for it to work I think one also needs to lay down a few piece of infrastructure.

A) Connection between overworld and underworld (dungeons).
Why are the PCs inclined to go delving in different places, how do they learn about them, what sort of information do they get about dungeon A or B that would encourage them to go there. Now obviously, as a classic sort of game, the party wants cash ... but why go to one over the other, and as always ... how to tie that cash back into the overworld. Hooks, NPCs, overworld factions with goals in the underworld and vice versa and connections between the dungeons helps. As do long term effects of ignoring dungeons - they shouldn't be static places to plunder but rather elements of the sandbox as a whole that tie into its clocks and NPC goals.

e.g. "The Dragon Hazrad the Unclean lairs in the Great Barrow of the North - its foul brood is spreading and infecting the hill people, who have begun to worship it instead of the Placid Moon ... As sessions past these former allies of Castleburg will turn to enemies, then monsters, and finally Hazrad will lead his infected army and fly covered spawn to sack Castleburg ... or so says the local raving Sun Temple fanatic... (On session 1 - by session 10 caravans are missing and villages on the edge of the hills be raided). This of course is one of several juicy rumors or claims made by various local faction members.

B) Small and mid-sized dungeons.
Generally if you are using a mega dungeon the campaign is about the mega dungeon. If you drop three mega dungeons on your map all within walking distance to a haven the party is unlikely to every delve any of them to a significant degree. 1/2 the trouble of running a mega dungeon campaign is getting the players to go deeper rather then poke around the increasingly safe level 1 (ASE has excellent ideas on how to work against this player habit btw). With multiple midsized or lair sized dungeons both the flighty and completionist tendencies of players is are (dungeons are distinct spaces, with distinct problems that have a limited number of sessions worth of content), and you can link them to the overworld more easily as well as conditioning their clocks more clearly.

e.g. "The Great Northern Barrow" is 35 rooms and depending on how far the dragon in it has advanced its schemes those rooms may be inhabited by different things. At first vermin and weak dragon spawn with a few ancient dead trying to keep them back. Then more spawn, cultists, the dragon's own dead army, reluctant hill people etc etc. The smaller size means that the problem dragon isn't ever buried at the bottom of a mega dungeon and its effects on the world can be quicker, while the party's efforts to eliminate the danger will take fewer sessions. It becomes a manageable and foreseeable immediate issue rather then so grand BBEG for when the campaign is 5 years old.

So you can't just sprinkle dungeons on a hex map - more important I think is tying everything together via rumors, faction schemes and NPC relationships.

Simon Miles

Creator of the World of Barnaynia FRPG setting
It's dead simple to do. Just drop the dungeons you want on the map and go. Follow the PCs wherever.

With the resource attrition of older editions, having higher-level PCs go into lower-level dungeons is still a hurdle. Not as bad as same or near-level dungeons, obviously, but lower-level monsters still pose a threat and drain resources. Read up on Tucker's Kobolds. You could always have some nasties pull that on the party.

And you could always level-up the dungeons so they're not so far beneath the PCs. That will take some work, but it's possible. Either change out the monsters entirely for level-appropriate stuff or buff the existing monsters' stats to something level appropriate.
If you're intrigued by Tucker's Kobolds as a concept the Warren from Dunromin University Press is in the same vein but more up to date... DriveThruRPG

Remove ads