D&D General Hasbro Is Looking For Partners For Baldur's Gate 4

Sequel is still "very much on the cards".

bg3-astarion-party-full.jpg

Last month, Baldur's Gate 3 developer Larion Studios revealed that it was 'elated' not to be working on further D&D video games, expansions, or DLC.

However, Wizard of the Coast's Eugene Evans says that a sequel is still "very much on the cards". Evans is Senior vice president of Digital Strategy and Licensing for Hasbro and WotC, and was talking in an interview with PC Gamer.

“We’re now talking to lots of partners and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur’s Gate franchise look like? So we certainly hope that it’s not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur’s Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that. But we’re going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur’s Gate. We take that very, very seriously, as we do with all of our decisions around our portfolio. We don’t rush into decisions as to who to partner with on products or what products we should be considering.”

Fans of the characters, such as Shadowheart and Astarian, created by Larion and introduced in BG3 will be pleased to know that they are now owned by WotC, meaning that it's not impossible that they would show up in any sequels. Evans said "Larian created a much loved cast of characters, who were even celebrated by their nominations, the voice actors behind them and the talent behind them was celebrated at the [BAFTAS]...And they are now essentially part of D&D canon."

Reynard

Legend
Yeah.. Rather than trying to make lightning strike twice, they should learn from this success. They gave Larian the freedom and ability to make something amazing. Find another company they believe in, and give them the same freedom and trust them to make something special.

You're going to have a lot of people upset that it isn't just Baldurs Gate 3 2.. But if you tried to force that you'd have probably an equal number of people upset with how it turned out.
I can think of a few companies that could make a great BG game. I can't think of any besides Larian that could make another BG3.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
There will always be creators happy to pick up this sort of torch. Development times being what they are for a game as expansive as any sequel would necessarily have to be, even if it's only half of what Larian Studios did, means it will be a very long time before we see or hear anything, though.

Honestly? I'd rather BG4 be... not BG4, lol. Give me a 'BG' game set in Eberron or Ravenloft. Hell, give me Spelljammer or the like. Anywhere more interesting than Faerun.

Yeah.. Rather than trying to make lightning strike twice, they should learn from this success. They gave Larian the freedom and ability to make something amazing. Find another company they believe in, and give them the same freedom and trust them to make something special.

You're going to have a lot of people upset that it isn't just Baldurs Gate 3 2.. But if you tried to force that you'd have probably an equal number of people upset with how it turned out.

This is how I'm thinking as well. A sequel living up to BG3 isn't impossible, but it is very hard. So don't try to directly compare the next big D&D game with BG3. A new team in a new setting gives the big follow up the room to be it's own thing. You'll still have some of the D&D game hype BG3 gave you that you can build the marketing with, and you'll have the chance to expand the D&D video game line up with another unique setting with it's own feel. This isn't writting off making BG4, just not jumping right to it in a time of transition. Trying to force a follow up to BG3 right now is just asking for trouble. Give the new team the creative freedom to do thier own thing.

BG3 can enjoy the prestige of being very possibly the best D&D videogame but this also means too high expectations in the next title. We should remember the most of D&D videogames from the last decades haven't worked so good in the market.

We need a great studio with enough experience in the genre, and not too busy now with their own projects.

Today it is easier collabs in videogames produced by other companies.

My suggestion is not all the eggs in only one basket. Forgotten Realms is very popular, but other settings, for example Greyhawk, should allow more creative freedom.

No, the two expressions have different meanings. On the Cards means planned, In the Cards means maybe with luck.
Every grammar site, phrase origin database and dictionary I checked agree that the two terms have the same meaning, that being "likely to happen" in both cases. They're both believed to be derived from the use of tarot cards, although there are some other possibilities based on misheard words and linguistic drift. "On the cards" is much more common in the UK, with "in the cards" largely replacing it in American English.

LesserThan

Explorer
No fan of BG series or any D&D video games, but I will say this. Without the engine that runs BG3, there is likely no chance BG4 will have a chance, as most players said they like BG3 but have no interest in D&D.

That tells me how the game plays is more important than the "brand". Original BG games were nothing like the well polished engine behind BG3. even NWN was a lot worse system than BG3 used in all 5 video games carrying through the NWN franchises.

Larian had lightning in a bottle, the same as Covid was for Chris Cocks when he was in charge of WotC. These will not be easily replicated, nor surpassed.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads