• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good fantasy films?

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I was relaxing last night flipping through the DMG, thinking about a new D&D campaign, and I thought...what are some of the good fantasy/related films?

I have a short list here (good and bad)...

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Ladyhawke
Willow
The Princess Bride
Conan the Barbarian
First Knight
Dragonheart

And to a different extent:

Braveheart
The 13th Warrior
Lionheart
The Lion in Winter
The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc

What are some others?

Last edited:

Sulimo

First Post
hong said:
To my mind, there's no better film to capture the essence of 3E than A Knight's Tale.

That probably explains why our group hasnt been able to bring itself to play an extended 3E campaign.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A Knight's Tale was one of the worst movies of 2001. I had almost managed to force my brain to forget about that travesty until you went and brought it up again.

I enjoyed the D&D movie more than a Knight's Tale. That should tell you something about how bad I think it was.

And the music for this film? It guaranteed that it will be an outdated film within 5 years, since it dates the film to a specific decade (not wise with a medieval movie). And that decade is nowhere near the period this film is supposed to take place in. (and the characters interact with the music, making sure you see that this is not an accident, but then intended to make this crap intertwin with the modern day). And that wasn't the only blaringly obvious, pathetically unecessary anachronistic element to the film.

Saddest thing was the plot. Take the Mighty Ducks, put them in semi-middle-ages costumes, and boom, you have this movie.

Sad, sad, sad.

Remove ads