• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First look at James Gunn's Superman

1000008824.jpg

I honestly can't say I care all that much about the suit or the hyperjacked color saturation, but more why this of all things was the way to show off the new Superman.

If the biggest issue with Cavill is that his and Snyders take didn't feel like Superman, and this is all supposed to restore faith, its just such a weird shot.

And for clarity, compare to the first look at Cavill.

1000008822.jpg

The only difference in terms of showing a different take other than the suits/actor is the color saturation. Would have been an easy win to just show Corenswet just, not looking dour like Cavill often did.

Super strange decision, particularly given the new image is in-camera, meaning this shot is likely in the movie. Very possible the scene is just fast and this is an awkward capture of it, but then why pick this one of all things?

So weird.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The suit looks fine. The framing irritates me. (Note: I am a guy with a superman tattoo, meaning that I think Superman is actually important, not just a cartoon character.) Kal languidly putting on his boot while something cosmic blasts the city actively irritates me.

I like Gunn but I am not sure he is the right guy for Supes.

Note: I like Cavill, and broadly i like Man of Steel, but aside from that I do not think Snyder was the right guy either.

The suit looks fine. The framing irritates me. (Note: I am a guy with a superman tattoo, meaning that I think Superman is actually important, not just a cartoon character.) Kal languidly putting on his boot while something cosmic blasts the city actively irritates me.

I like Gunn but I am not sure he is the right guy for Supes.

Note: I like Cavill, and broadly i like Man of Steel, but aside from that I do not think Snyder was the right guy either.

Snyder really needed, and still needs, a writer that knows how to work with how he does his films. Its always the writing that suffers if he isn't just doing a frame for frame of a comic book.

A "scene" of Superman getting suited up for an apparent emergency should never take more than one cel of film. You have superspeed, Clark. Use it before someone gets killed.

Also, what the blazes is going on in the background? Is the Emerald Empress cosplaying as a Star Sapphire or something?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There’s no way that’s a shot from the movie. They only started filming a couple of weeks ago.

That’ll be a photo taken against a green screen with a background added. It’s a promo shot not a movie scene.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
There’s no way that’s a shot from the movie. They only started filming a couple of weeks ago.

That’ll be a photo taken against a green screen with a background added. It’s a promo shot not a movie scene.
That doesn't make it not a first look.

Gunn says its an in camera shot. I could plausibly see that as like a testing shot, but then I don't see the value in calling out that its "in camera", which to me is like you're saying this what the movies going to look like.

Which, to be frank, isn't all that far off from his style.

Remove ads