• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog (A5E) Feature List

Looks absolutely amazing! I was aware of this effort but hadn’t looked into any of the details until now. I haven’t more than glanced at a few playtest docs now so feel free to tell me to wait until it comes out, but in case it helps others decide I had a few questions:

• Are Level Up PCs more powerful in general than core 5e characters or is this just meant to add different options that are meant to be equivalent to 5e characters? Can a Level Up Fighter play along side a 5e Fighter?
  • Have the classes been recalibrated for balance between classes from level 1-20 or was this not a design goal?
  • Given the many changes, I’m assuming Level Up is meant to be holistic– meaning you are suppose to play with all the Level up rules together? Or are the features meant to be modular?
  • Is the Marshall the Warlord?

dave2008

Legend
I am not with the design team, but feel I can answer some of these (and I don't feel like working right now).
Looks absolutely amazing! I was aware of this effort but hadn’t looked into any of the details until now. I haven’t more than glanced at a few playtest docs now so feel free to tell me to wait until it comes out, but in case it helps others decide I had a few questions:

• Are Level Up PCs more powerful in general than core 5e characters or is this just meant to add different options that are meant to be equivalent to 5e characters? Can a Level Up Fighter play along side a 5e Fighter?
The are intended to be equivalent to O5e characters.
  • Have the classes been recalibrated for balance between classes from level 1-20 or was this not a design goal?
This one I don't know, but I would assume that, like O5e, the classes are intended to be broadly balanced with each other.
  • Given the many changes, I’m assuming Level Up is meant to be holistic– meaning you are suppose to play with all the Level up rules together? Or are the features meant to be modular?
No, you can mix and match with O5e. You could have a O5e fighter play alongside a A5e fighter or a O5e monster vs an all A5e party for example. Though I image it all works better if you use the whole thing.
Yes

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They can.

The LU fighter is built with more options (so character creation is more flexible) and has features in the exploration and social pillars which enable all LU characters to keep playing during those parts of the game, but isn't more powerful.

In fact, every class has been completely rewritten.
We designed it assuming you'll be playing Level Up. But it's fully compatible with O5E. Our journey rules will work in an O5E game, for example. You can use a LU bard in an O5E game. You can use one of our 200 new magic items in an O5E game. It's still the same game.
Yep.

The LU fighter is built with more options (so character creation is more flexible) and has features in the exploration and social pillars which enable all LU characters to keep playing during those parts of the game, but isn't more powerful.
In fact, every class has been completely rewritten.

Thanks. More explicitly, there are some people that believe the Wizard is much more powerful than the Fighter in 5e, particularly at higher levels.

In the rewriting of classes, was there an attempt to power up the higher level Fighter say through level gated Combat Manuvers and leave the Wizard the same (thus narrowing this gap). So as long as the LU Fighter doesn't surpass the O5e Wizard or Bard, everything's good? Or was the design assumption that relative class power levels are fine in O5e and thus the LU Fighter should be the equivalent to an O5e Fighter?

I can see some people specifically looking for this kind of power rebalancing.

Personally, more tactically interesting and exploration/social features has me sold already (even if not strictly more 'powerful').

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks. More explicitly, there are some people that believe the Wizard is much more powerful than the Fighter in 5e, particularly at higher levels.

In the rewriting of classes, was there an attempt to power up the higher level Fighter say through level gated Combat Manuvers and leave the Wizard the same (thus narrowing this gap). So as long as the LU Fighter doesn't surpass the O5e Wizard or Bard, everything's good? Or was the design assumption that relative class power levels are fine in O5e and thus the LU Fighter should be the equivalent to an O5e Fighter?

I can see some people specifically looking for this kind of power rebalancing.

Personally, more tactically interesting and exploration/social features has me sold already (even if not strictly more 'powerful').
The fighter playtest packet will still be available for a few days. Take a look!

Remove ads