• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Encounter Balance holds back 5E

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I assume that your table just allows all abilities and consumables to be used infinitely as many times in a row as they like, then?
You're twisting my words waaay out of context. What I said (and what I stick by) is that every table gets to decide how much they care about resource management.

I never said it was the pinnacle, I said it was heavily built into the gameplay.
The gameplay varies so much from group to group that you just can't make a universal blanket statement like that. It's a flexible system.

I really didn't think "Different people play D&D differently" was a controversial statement.

You're twisting my words waaay out of context. What I said (and what I stick by) is that every table gets to decide how much they care about resource management.

That is what you said, but you're also missing the point of why I asked that.

The only way a table can not care about it is by eliminating any restrictions on the use of anything.

And the reason I say that is precisely because you are also saying this:

The gameplay varies so much from group to group that you just can't make a universal blanket statement like that. It's a flexible system.

I really didn't think "Different people play D&D differently" was a controversial statement.

Which implies that you don't believe resource management is fundamental to the game.

Pointing out that theres only one way for a group to not be dealing with resource management is a direct response to that sentiment, because you can't play 5e and not being dealing with resource management unless you genuinely nix all of it in all of its forms.

You can then argue its about deemphasizing, but that doesn't work either, because resource management is foundational to how every mechanic in 5e works as a system, but also because its just another way of invoking the Oberoni fallacy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The game is what happens at the table, not what's printed in the book. Every table gets to decide how much weight they want to give to the resource management minigame (yes, I'm sticking by that term).
I mean, sure, they can, same as a given table can never engage in combat. But a table that doesn't engage in combat .ight find Class balance to be wonky, same as anyone who doesn't engage in resource management: because the game is balanced as a resource management game. If that is ignored, things will be wonky.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Honestly not sure what thisnis responding to, but of Spell casters aren't feeling that using Spell slots are a sacrifice, then they aren't being pushed to the limit where. On-spellcasters shine.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The only way a table can not care about it is by eliminating any restrictions on the use of anything.
No, I mean they can just not care about it. Not worry about whether everybody is doing the same amount of damage every round and so forth.

Which implies that you don't believe resource management is fundamental to the game.
I didn't imply it. I flat-out said it.

If that is ignored, things will be wonky.
And what if you don't care if things are wonky, because you're more interested in other parts of the game?

No haha. That's just exactly driving a Ferrari on the school run. You're describing exactly what I'm talking about.
If you say so, dude.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And what if you don't care if things are wonky, because you're more interested in other parts of the game?
Then that's fine. The issue, as apparent in the OP, is people who actively avoid the resource management of the Adventure Day, and then complain that the game isn't balanced. Anyone who doesn't care about the game being unbalanced will have a good time no matter what.

No, I mean they can just not care about it. Not worry about whether everybody is doing the same average amount of damage every round and so forth.

That doesn't have anything to do with resource management.

And not caring about it is the same as what I said, fyi.

I didn't imply it. I flat-out said it.

So you do genuinely think resource management isn't fundamental to 5e, and yet you don't want to actually address what I and Micah said?

Thats not a particularly sound argument.

It doesn't matter if you're super into it or wouldn't miss it. If you're playing 5e, you're either engaging with resource management or you've taken the step to remove it entirely. (And are no longer playing 5e at all)

And keep in mind, neither one of us(or at least Im not) is disputing that you can deemphasize it. Whats in dispute is the notion that 5e isn't a resource management game just because you say it isn't.

Thats what I was saying comparing that logic to the Oberoni fallacy; if we stop caring about it, the game is now about something else. (When thats not how it works)

Remove ads