• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ebert gives "Master and Commander" thumbs up

Wombat

First Post
There have been no interesting films for about a month now. I love Patrick O'Brian's books. I know what I am going to see will not even be close to the books.

OTOH, from the sounds of multiple reviews, it sounds like it will be a whopping good naval adventure.

So I'll accept it for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

MarauderX

Explorer
Can't wait to see it, eventhough I can imagine almost every scene from the trailer snippets. Nice review too, and I will try to remember to post any others I see along my internet meanderings.

MarauderX

Explorer
Washington Post reviews with two opposing opinions:

Stephen Hunter
&
Desson Howe

Small snippet prelude to the articles:
"Weekend's Desson Howe praises this seafaring drama, saying that director Peter Weir and his crew "have created something truly special." Style's Stephen Hunter doesn't see the movie that way: "It comprises too many equal parts, and they tangle each other up. Everything is important, which comes to mean that nothing is important."

Tauric

First Post
a small request

I've never read the O'Brian books, so I would like to know how the movie is on the basis of a naval movie. The faithfulness of adaptation is one of the biggest complaints of the otherwise stellar LoTR, but for those that never read Tolkien they are excellent movies.

So I ask reviewers to remember not everyone has read the books, and would like to know about the movie on its own merits.

Thanks.

dravot

First Post
We saw it last night, and absolutely loved it.

The combat scenes were amazing, the characters were believable and interesting and the plot moved right along. Sub-plots were good and didn't detract from the main story, so it worked well.

I'd like to see it again in the theatre, which, these days, is a rare thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads