• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance style magic schools

aramis erak

Legend
In AD&D's "Dragonlance Adventures" (1987) it listed the schools of the different orders as follows:

• white robe: abjuration, charm, conjuration, divination, enchantment, evocation
  • red robe: alteration, conjuration, divination, illusion, invocation, phantasm, summoning
  • black robe: charm, divination, enchantment, illusion, necromantic, phantasm, summoning

Converting the old spell schools to 5E would give you this:

Abjuration: white
Conjuration: all
Divination: all
Enchantment: white/black
Evocation: white/red
Illusion: red/black
Necromancy: black
Transmutation: red​

To truly convert them to 5E I think I would make a subclass for each, with the spell restrictions and moon phases being some of the "features" included.

That fails to prevent the learning of the other schools' unique spheres, which was a key element - no one but a rogue wizard could cast all the schools.

Almost calls for a new class with 4 subclasses.... at least if one is going to actually emulate the magic of Krynn as defined in DLA for AD&D, which was reasonably close to the novels...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Given 5e's subclass structure and, as others have noted, the lack of any real "limitations" or drawbacks to specializing in 1 school or the other in the 5e specialties, I think it makes a lot of sense -and is a way to provide a nice bit of setting-specific flavor- to sub-class the specialities.

That is, any wizard of any tradition can cast any spell. The specifics/special abilities of each tradtion would realyl be more alignment-related or moon phase specific, focusing on flavor/powers from older editions (which I do not know about).

So, I would prefer to see wizard subclasses:
Tradition of the White Robes/White Moon [or whatever's its name was, I don't recall] High Sorcery
Tradition of the Red Robes/Red Moon [ditto] High Sorcery
Tradition of the Blakc Robes/Black Moon [ditto] High Sorcery

As mentioned elsewhere, you can just divide the existing schools into robe colours. You can also add Artificer from the Eberron article for an even 9 and give each robe three schools.

There's a lot of options for Moon Magic. Saving throw DC boost. An extra spell slot. A bonus to Concentration checks.

Personally, I'd make your spells during high sanction treat your Intelligence score as 2 higher. And 2 lower during low sanction. To a maximum of 20.
When two moons are aligned, the maximum becomes 22. During the Night of the Eye scores are treated as 4 higher with no maximum.

Remove ads