• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 379: Assassin Heroic Tier

awesomeocalypse

First Post
I have to say its very impressive how they've managed to build a class that effectively functions the way lurker monsters do, and have it actually work. Lurkers are a blast to use as a DM with prep, but very tricky without, and they always struck me as the one monster type for which there could be no pc analogy. Guess they proved me wrong.

Kishin

First Post
So we have to wait until maybe Feburary to have the rest of the assassin added to the character builder, and it still may be lacking the multiclass feat? Yep, I'm done with this "exclusive" DDI contnet. If they want to unneccessarily spread out one class over several months just to bilk their customers out of extra money, they can keep their "exclusisve" class.

Think of the December article the same as you would the 'X Power' books expansion to the classes, and maybe you'll see. Was the Ranger incomplete before Martial Power came out?

Of course, you could always subscribe for the one month after the final leg of Assassin stuff is released, and then you wouldn't be 'getting bilked'.

Or, if you're paying for a DDI sub the whole time as it is, you're getting it anyway?

I really don't see the issue. The class is still playable. If you're really that concerned about a multiclass feat, MAKE ONE UP. 4e has some of the most transparent, easy to grok mechanical structure there is: It would take you all of 30 seconds. Arguably about the same length it will take you to type the inevitable 'But I shouldn;t have to make stuff up, that's why I am paying Wizards!' retort I see forthcoming.

I have to say its very impressive how they've managed to build a class that effectively functions the way lurker monsters do, and have it actually work. Lurkers are a blast to use as a DM with prep, but very tricky without, and they always struck me as the one monster type for which there could be no pc analogy. Guess they proved me wrong.
Good observation. I wonder if one couldn't go even further.

Imagine a feature where you spend _standard actions_ against enemies to gain more damage. You remain hidden the full time, and then, after having spend a few actions, you launch a decisive, destructive blow.

The 3 attack rolls/1 Hit powers and the Shrouds might be cominbined to achieve this purpose.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
The main issue I have is that the assassin class was promised to be available in September. Not most of the class in September, ki foci and more feats later, and finally the multiclass feat next spring. It feels like a sleazy way to string your customers along, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised because this type of behavior is par for the course with WotC.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer

It SHOULD work this way, I admit. But so far my reading of it, is that it is still more effective to attack every round while building up shrouds than it is to wait in the shadows for the right time to strike. If you HAD to use your shrouds up every time you attacked and you gained exponential damage with each shroud there would be much more reason to hide in the shadows, spend 4 rounds building up shrouds then make one huge attack.

So far, I've only seen an assassin played for one 5 hour long session. The person who played it put a shroud on and used it every round. He didn't even try to build them up. I admit, the mathematical reason to do so is VERY small.

MrAlgothi

First Post
It SHOULD work this way, I admit. But so far my reading of it, is that it is still more effective to attack every round while building up shrouds than it is to wait in the shadows for the right time to strike.

Aside from trying to get the first round surprise shot, that's true. However I am not sure a class that acted every 4 or so rounds would be entirely too fun to play (even if you did absolutely massive damage on those rounds). Most combats in the epic game I play in do not last more then 6 or so turns. So a class that played as you described would mean 1 or 2 turns of activity while the rest were spent trying not to be seen or hit. Sounds rather boring to me. The current setup means you are rewarded for scouting and setting up ambushes, but are not sitting around for most of the combat trying to set up that one huge hit (which may or may not happen).

December follows right on the heels of that article with a follow-up to the release of the assassin, detailing new feats, powers, and ki focus items to expand the options for assassin characters
A fairly long wait, but I guess that gives us, the community, some time to play the class and give our experiences and/or make suggestions on what the class needs feat/power wise.

Ceramicwombat

Explorer
Publisher
It looks like WoTC listened to the complaints about the lack of a Ki Focus writeup and a multiclass feats. There are generic Ki Focuses and a multiclass feat (Shadow Initiate) as part of the Character Builder update. Neat.

Jack99

Adventurer
So we have to wait until maybe Feburary to have the rest of the assassin added to the character builder, and it still may be lacking the multiclass feat? Yep, I'm done with this "exclusive" DDI contnet. If they want to unneccessarily spread out one class over several months just to bilk their customers out of extra money, they can keep their "exclusisve" class.

You play 4e? Seriously?

Remove ads