• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you think they will add more races to PHB2024 to make up for dropping other stuff?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
No. They are responding to clear community sentiment. That's not something to "make up for".

Don't get me wrong; I'd love more races in the PHB. But look a the aardling: thoroughly rejected, and it had a solid design and niche. They'll save more races for the post-2024 equivalent of MOTM.

Last edited:

GamerforHire

Explorer
I haven’t been following the OneD&D progress closely, so forgive my intrusion into this discussion because my ignorance will likely be obvious.

Taking a step back from your specific question about races, I think it is inevitable that WOTC will make adding “new stuff” a key feature of OneD&D on the VTT. The entire economic and pricing model for their envisioned digital future is a customer base on monthly subscriptions, and simply playing the game on WOTC’s “better“ platform can’t be relied upon as sufficient for that. In addition, WOTC brass have consistently mentioned aspects of in-game and premium transactions as part of their financial goals. This is going to require “new” stuff, and what could possibly be more “new” and worth paying for than new player races to go with the standards of new classes, new spells, and new gear?

I get the point about how WOTC is stressing continuity and such as they roll this new version of the rules out, but that is all about making the transition. When you look ahead to what they will do with OneD&D over the next 3-5 years, all bets are off as they seek to “monetize” their new VTT environment.

No. They are responding ot clear community sentiment. That's not something to "make up for".

Don't get me wrong; I'd love more races in the PHB. But look a the aardling: thoroughly rejected, and it had a solid design and niche. They'll save more races for the post-2024 equivalent of MOTM.

You misunderstand, I mean they are taking a bunch of stuff out, so naturally to keep it fresh they should put something else back in, like to fill that space.

I haven’t been following the OneD&D progress closely, so forgive my intrusion into this discussion because my ignorance will likely be obvious.

Taking a step back from your specific question about races, I think it is inevitable that WOTC will make adding “new stuff” a key feature of OneD&D on the VTT. The entire economic and pricing model for their envisioned digital future is a customer base on monthly subscriptions, and simply playing the game on WOTC’s “better“ platform can’t be relied upon as sufficient for that. In addition, WOTC brass have consistently mentioned aspects of in-game and premium transactions as part of their financial goals. This is going to require “new” stuff, and what could possibly be more “new” and worth paying for than new player races to go with the standards of new classes, new spells, and new gear?

I get the point about how WOTC is stressing continuity and such as they roll this new version of the rules out, but that is all about making the transition. When you look ahead to what they will do with OneD&D over the next 3-5 years, all bets are off as they seek to “monetize” their new VTT environment.

I'm talking about adding stuff specifically to the PHB to fill in the space that was made by removing other stuff, and to make sure there is enough new stuff to make it worth buying.

GamerforHire

Explorer
I'm talking about adding stuff specifically to the PHB to fill in the space that was made by removing other stuff, and to make sure there is enough new stuff to make it worth buying.

Fair point. I don’t know that they will worry too much about that. They can rely on the “new and updated” labeling, the fact that is now the “current” edition, along with a slew of new art and new organization to drive sales. There have been reports of a lot of money being spent on art, plus all this “are they using AI art?” discussions. Companies all across the TTRPG space are constantly putting out new editions with minimal rules changes and just new art. Most of the time, players of those games PREFER that to the alternative of lots of changes.

Remove ads