• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Do you plan to buy Dragonlance?

Do you plan to buy Dragonlance

• Yes

Votes: 73 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 39.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.4%

The literal prophesied exception to the rule.
Apparently, Kender Wizards used to be a thing. Then they crashed a floating castle into a mountain causing a century of magical research to be lost, and the Towers decided to never teach Kender again.

In classic Tower fashion, they just claimed Kender have no ability to wield magic.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Apparently, Kender Wizards used to be a thing. Then they crashed a floating castle into a mountain causing a century of magical research to be lost, and the Towers decided to never teach Kender again.

In classic Tower fashion, they just claimed Kender have no ability to wield magic.

That’s the issue. Its like giving a 10 year old acess to grenades.

Besides a Kender typically wouldn’t have typically wouldn’t have the attention span for learning magic

If the world(s) didn't end when 3e opened up all classes to all races, Dragonlance can survive the same.

As much as I have no small amount of nostalgia for old-school class restrictions, I still remember the explosion of character ideas when I first cracked open the 3e PHB and saw that. I look forward to plenty of dwarven wizards and kender Knights of Solamnia.

All it would take is someone to run a Dwarf Wizard in DL to make some folks eyes twitch.

I do expect to see a blurb in the book saying something to the effect of "traditionally, X, Y and Z aren't part of classic DL, but you can add them if you want."

DragonBelow

Adventurer
If the world(s) didn't end when 3e opened up all classes to all races, Dragonlance can survive the same.

As much as I have no small amount of nostalgia for old-school class restrictions, I still remember the explosion of character ideas when I first cracked open the 3e PHB and saw that. I look forward to plenty of dwarven wizards and kender Knights of Solamnia.

The 3.5 Dragonlance books didn't break tradition. However the world changed a lot in the decades following the War of the Lance, when the gods left again, which allowed sorcerers and mystics to appear. The races didn't change much, except we got chromatic draconians, and afflicted kenders.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
All it would take is someone to run a Dwarf Wizard in DL to make some folks eyes twitch.

I do expect to see a blurb in the book saying something to the effect of "traditionally, X, Y and Z aren't part of classic DL, but you can add them if you want."
It’s not that they didn’t/couldn’t get exist it’s just that typically they didn’t. And AD&D usually had you playing a “typical” whatever. A Dwarf Wiz may exist but they would be fairly unique as Dwarves (from a Dwarven kingdom) typically don’t trust arcane magic and it’s users.

Modern D&D allowing any race/class isn’t some new thing no one thought of before. Plenty of games back in the AD&D days allowed any/any. Difference is that Dwarf Wiz was unique and treated as such.

hojulation

Explorer
I think this is the first time I have seen "no" winning in a poll of this kind. And the reasons given are diverse. Might this product flop, or will younger players, underrepresented on this forum, and without an iron in the fire, swing it?
I consider myself a younger player (mid 30's? Tell me if that's not young) but I plan to get this one. My group started playing D&D at the end of 4e so our collective dragonlance experience is really limited to those of us who have read the books.

I haven't decided if I will run the adventure "as-is" or strip it for parts, but I've seen a lot of people describe the setting as D&D's war story and that's definitely not a type of story we've really explored yet. Really curious to see how that could play out.

Plus I think that alt cover is really impressive. Might be the first time I buy an alt cover (I have this thing where I like all of the book spines looking the same)

EDIT: Posting on mobile is tricky 🤷

Last edited:

TheHand

Adventurer
The knight backgrounds/feats could easily be refluffed as a "chivalric knight" for other settings, such as Cormyr, or something Arthurian.
And that’s a fair way to handle it. If somebody wanted to run a chivalric knight in one of my non DL games I’d be fine with it; but since I’m otherwise lukewarm on the setting itself it probably won’t be enough to tempt me to buy it, but I am curious to read the reviews when it comes out

Remove ads