• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 256 53.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.7%

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This really depends on whether or not the real goal is to "tell a story together" rather than set PCs loose in an imaginary world and see what story emerges from their actions and reactions. In that scenario, you generally don't want to just succeed.
Again though, as intended, you don't "just succeed", you use up precious time to succeed. Unless time has no meaning in a scenario (which again, if that's the case, no need to roll dice at all- if the party can take all day to climb out of a ravine, then just let them climb out).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This is something that happens a LOT, I'm afraid - I don't understand what you are saying to me.

What is it that you want me to acknowledge?
This very thread! One of the positions is an absolute and you've been providing it cover. You keep lamenting that one side of the discussion is responding as if the other is talking about something happening under any and all conditions rather than looking for compromise or something but you have that backwards because it's a discussion where one side is literally saying that the background feature means that it needs to work under any conditions all of the time (or, an absolute as in the real while nonnegative number of 100%) while you keep criticizing posters already talking about something less than 100%. This was made incredibly clear earlier when there was a literal example of that position posted noted and linked to while I was responding to you earlier . Of course people in disagreement with that position of an absolute guarantee aare going to talk about the position people are literally making rather than the less than 100% certainty of success they are saying should be the standard any sane RAW targets because that is the position that is being put forward in contrast. When you started noticing that said absolute might be a position that is less than reasonable and aimed a bit of criticism at it you still covered for it by throwing shade my way.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (he/him)
so you say it is no problem because the players do not use the feature much, so it always working is no problem, even if that means coming up with something highly improbable that ‘one time’? That is a cop out, so you still say it works every time…
What you describe here as the feature “always working” is the player saying their PC knows someone, but the player isn’t “always” saying that. Such play would quickly be met with groaning and eye rolling from the other participants. There’s a social contract that governs such things with varying levels of tolerance from table to table.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Again though, as intended, you don't "just succeed", you use up precious time to succeed. Unless time has no meaning in a scenario (which again, if that's the case, no need to roll dice at all- if the party can take all day to climb out of a ravine, then just let them climb out).
Even if they'd for sure get out of the ravine if they had all day I'd still make someone roll for the party as a guide to how long it took them and-or how many of them got hurt in the process.

Roll a 20, they scamper out within 15 minutes none the worse for wear and can spend the rest of the day doing whatever they like.

Roll a 1, they spend all day at it and finally crawl out long after nightfall, exhausted. Further, each of them now have to roll individually to see how much damage they took from scrapes and falls in the process, with anything over about 14 meaning none but a 1 meaning (in 5e) we might be looking at death saves.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Even if they'd for sure get out of the ravine if they had all day I'd still make someone roll for the party as a guide to how long it took them and-or how many of them got hurt in the process.

Roll a 20, they scamper out within 15 minutes none the worse for wear and can spend the rest of the day doing whatever they like.

Roll a 1, they spend all day at it and finally crawl out long after nightfall, exhausted. Further, each of them now have to roll individually to see how much damage they took from scrapes and falls in the process, with anything over about 14 meaning none but a 1 meaning (in 5e) we might be looking at death saves.
Huh. That's definitely a lot harsher than I run my games. It sounds like you run every obstacle as an encounter.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What you describe here as the feature “always working” is the player saying their PC knows someone, but the player isn’t “always” saying that. Such play would quickly be met with groaning and eye rolling from the other participants.
Groan as they may, the player is not in the wrong for doing this; because the rules give that player ironclad backing.
There’s a social contract that governs such things with varying levels of tolerance from table to table.
To a point; with the bulk of that contract saying the game will be played using the rules given, including house rules. Unfortunately, it's the DM who has to make those house rules who gets put in a bad spot by crap RAW like this; and while the early editions can be cut some slack due to their designers breaking new ground and learning lessons by trial and error on the fly, later editions have no such excuse.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Huh. That's definitely a lot harsher than I run my games. It sounds like you run every obstacle as an encounter.
If it's potentially hazard enough to cause significant injury or delay then I treat it as such, and climbing out of a ravine strikes me as such a hazard.

So sure, success is guaranteed; what's still in question is the possible cost of said success in either or both of time and blood.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

They couldn't use the 20 on that for two reasons though. Firstly is the fact that it's not something that can be done with a full round or standard action. The second one is because climbing the cliff has a consequence of failure and is literally the example used for a time a player can't due to consequence of failure. Earlier I quoted the full text of the phb entry for it taking 10 & coincidentally the section for "practically impossible tasks that I think would cover your example even if you replaced climbing with something lacking a consequence of failure where the sort of luck you describe deciding how long it takes requires the roll.

Remove ads