• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 255 53.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.8%

Hussar

Legend
I don’t like background feats. I don’t like most background features either.

Feats are probably an improvement for me though.

But background features were removed because a sizable number of players in the play tests approved of the idea of background feats without background features.

And the reason the play tests approved feats over features would be…?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
you get it with your background and you do not have to sacrifice any feat in its stead, or am I missing something?
Now I'm confused. Why make me pick the Position of Privilege feat if I choose the noble background when it can just be a part of the noble background?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Because enough players liked that idea. Why the players liked that idea more, I’m sure there were many different reasons.
It seems silly. The only purpose I can see for it is so that your Hermit can take Criminal Contact feat and know people everywhere!!! No thanks. Just give me the background with the ability built in.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And the reason the play tests approved feats over features would be…?
Sight unseen, my guess would be because feats make it better for/easier on the players.

Players as an overall group never vote for anything that would make the game harder.

And seeing this, I assume feats are becoming core in 5.5 rather than optional?

Hussar

Legend
Sight unseen, my guess would be because feats make it better for/easier on the players.

Players as an overall group never vote for anything that would make the game harder.

And it's better for/easier on the players because....?

It seems silly. The only purpose I can see for it is so that your Hermit can take Criminal Contact feat and know people everywhere!!! No thanks. Just give me the background with the ability built in.
Now you're getting it. See, if it's a feat, I know the DM isn't going to start playing silly buggers and insisting on all sorts of hoops. I get my feat, and, poof, we're good to go.

Gee, I wonder why players would choose that... :erm:

FitzTheRuke

Legend

If nothing is changed from the playtest (and we really don't have any idea what has changed) then there are Level 1 Feats that come with Backgrounds, that wouldn't be optional, I suppose, but you could still take ASIs at Level 4 etc. So they're - mostly - still optional.

Remove ads